QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2002-09 > 1031317403

From: Jean Leeper <>
Subject: [Q-R] Quaker settlements in N. C.
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:03:24 -0500

On Thursday, September 5, 2002, at 10:18 PM, Jean Leeper wrote:

> George Fox came to Carolina in the fall of 1672. He stayed eighteen days
> and his preaching was well received and appreciated. From page 1 and 2 of
> The Carolina Quaker Experience by Seth Hinshaw, 'From the stand point of
> church history, the most amazing fact about the early Carolinas was the
> measure of religious freedom expressed in the Charter granted by King
> Charles II in 1663..."

I add this to my post of last night.

"Before The Year 1682 has come and gone, a small sailing ship is navigated
into beautiful, forest-bordered Albermarle Sound and up the mighty
Pasquotank River. the destination of the ship is known to the sailors and
to the passengers since already a thriving colony of Quakers has settled in
this area of Carolina. Here there is no persecution of Friends for their
beliefs as in Massachusetts and Virginia..."

my addition (Note: John and Agnes Trueblood were married 4 March 1679 in
Devonshire house, London. We have always thought that they traveled
directly to the Carolinas from England with no stops at New Castle or
Philadelphia areas in the north.)

"...Albermarle was the first organized county in Carolina--at least as
early as 1666 when the colonial legislatyure met. It was composed of the
precincts of Carteret, Berkeley and Shaftsbury.. Carteret consisted of the
areas now known as the counties of Currituck, Pasquotank, and Camden. The
latter remained a portion of Pasquotand until after the Revolutionary War.
Berkeley Precinct included what is now know as Perquimans County and a
small portion of Gates County. ... during the last decade of the
seventeenth century no town existed in Pasquotank, although the earliest
seat of government of the colony of Carolina had been in Pasquotank. From
'The Trueblood Family in America' 1964 Bula Trueblood Watson"

Some early settlements of Quakers in Virginia were in the counties above
north east N. C. Many like my Bogues and Drapers left Virginia in the
late seventeenth century and went down to the counties of Pasquotank and
Perquimans. The Drapers I believe were Puritans converted in Virginia to
Quakerism.

Without having put in any specific research on the question, I have to
agree that William Penn was not involved in recruiting Quaker settlers in
the Carolinas. The Quaker migration to the Carolinas came in two waves. The
first, smaller wave, which resulted in settlements along the North Carolina
coast, was in the late 1600s, as I recall. I suspect that many of these
settlers came from New England and Long Island. Some of these settlers had
been persecuted by governments in New England.

The second wave of Quaker migration to the Carolinas began roughly 1750 and
came mostly from Pennsylvania and New Jersey. By then, William Penn was
long dead.
--
Dan Treadway

Yes, The settlements to the Greesboro area of N. C. came later, ca 1750.
I know some came through Virginia and some stayed for awhile. There was
even a Quaker settlement in Tazewell County, VA around the time of the
revolutionary war, That did not last because of the problems with the
Indians. I believe there was another settlement in the same area of
Virginia nearer the Carolina border. I would guess that most came
overland from the north.

If I remember right most Pasquotank and Perquimans County Quakers never
moved to the Greensboro area. When they moved on because of the slavery
and other issues many went to the lower part of Indiana, whereas many from
Greensboro area went to the Richmond, Indiana area.

Sincerely,

Jean Leeper

or

"Watch What You Say or Do, You Might Sell Your Parrot To The Town Gossip
and If You Don't Have A Parrot Someone Above May Be Watching You"

Register Report: http://www.iowatelecom.net/~grannyroots/leepergenealogical.
html
Every Name Index: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jeanlee

Marion County IA Gen.Soc.: http://www.rootsweb.com/~iamcgs/Index.html

Researching: WILMETH, DENNY/DENNEY

Other SURNAMES: ARGO - BEALS - BOGUE - BURNETT - DRAPER - HALL - HALLOWELL
- HECK - HIATT - HIGGOTT - HODSON - HOUK - HOLLINGSWORTH - KOLLINGS -
McILVAINE - MAXWELL(2 lines) - MARK - MARRS - MENDENHALL - MICHENER -
NEWBY - REISINGER -ROBERDS - RUNYON - THORNELOE - TRUEBLOOD

This thread: