QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2002-11 > 1037927781

From: Gregory McReynolds <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] 1655 New Ross, county Wexford, Ireland: John Rodman
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:16:21 -0800

Hello Michael,

I find this information on John Rodman in my database:

John Rodman was born about 1615 in (possibly) Ireland. Charles Henry Jones,
in the "Genealogy of the Rodman Family", 1886, quoted a passage from
"Rutty's History of the Quakers in Ireland, page 366, published in 1751"
which refers to the banishment of a John Rodman in 1655 from New Ross, "a
seaport and parliamentary borough of Ireland, situated on the estuary of the
Barrow, partly in the county of Kilkenny, but chiefly in that of Wexford,
eighty-four miles south-southwest from Dublin." By his will, John Rodman of
Barbados owned property in the "Irish quarter" on Barbados. The banishment
was for Quaker beliefs and John Rodman of Barbados appears to have been a
Quaker, as were his descendents. He died between Sep 16 1686 and Dec 4 1686
in the Parish of Christ Church, Barbados Island. John Rodman's will, quoted
in its entirety, was written Sept. 16, 1686, and was proved on Dec. 4, 1686,
by Edwyn Hoode, Governor of Barbados. The plantations were bequeathed to his
wife, Elizabeth Rodman.

John Rodman; m. Elizabeth; d. 1686 at Barbadoes.
He was also known as John Redman.
Known children of John Rodman were as follows:
2. i. Dr. Thomas Rodman, b. 26 Dec 1640; m. Patience
Easton; m. Hannah Clarke.
3. ii. Dr. John Rodman, b. 1653; m. Christina Gibson; m.
Mary Scammon.
iii. Anne Rodman; m. ___ Twayt.
iv. Katherine Rodman; m. Timothy Brandreth.

I'm afraid I'm no help locating a copy of Rutty's history.

I descend fro John Rodman's daughter Katherine who married Timothy
Brandreth.

Best wishes,
Gregory McReynolds
Pasadena, California