QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2004-03 > 1080075273

From: "Leslie Hope" <>
Subject: RE: [Q-R] Francis VANE - John GRUBB ?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:56:27 -0800

I have the same line that Tom mentions, thru Richard Beeson and Charity
Grubb. The Grubb Family Association has a publication Ancestors of John
Grubb which I have. David Grubb kindly provided my copy. He says in his
introduction: "The new evidence is conclusive--the Grubb family is not
descended from nobility and can be proud of its humble origins in Stoke
Climsland, Cornwall." David Grubb goes on to say that John's father Henry
(Cope was correct according to David Grubb) , a butcher, became one of the
earliest Quakers in Cornwall. Henry had at least 3 run-ins with the law. In
1663/4 Henry was arrested for the third time and imprisioned in Trematon
Castle for several years for non payment of a tithe. As a result he lost
his lease on his land and probably died within several years of his release.
His will did not survive. Wilmot (his second wife) remained in Stoke
Climsland with her oldest surviving son, Anthony. She died in 1698.

Henry's father, also named Henry (John's grandfather) signed the
Protestation against Popery in 1641.

So we have a proud tradition of religious dissidence here!

Leslie Hope