QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2004-06 > 1088359350


From: "Horace B. Peele" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] saving information
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:02:36 -0500
References: <be.1020496c.2e1024f2@aol.com> <005d01c45c56$8b7d3d00$3e03ca44@tampabay.rr.com> <009c01c45c60$702427d0$e0c54a41@Horace> <008301c45c6d$86349480$3e03ca44@tampabay.rr.com>


Dutton Family,

Yes, that is a belief, but if you are making newer ones all the time, then
the older ones get trashed because the newer ones contain everything and the
older ones are not important. Please make a backup quicker than every 4-5
years... <haha> Yes for long term archival, paper is probable the best but
then again, technology is moving forward very fast. There are DVDs that
last now for a hundred years or more but you do not find them in CompUSA.
Also the Sharpie pen for permanent labels will eventually etch itself down
to the levels of recording and destroy data. Other pens are now available.

I too save important documents that I can not re-create as I stated. I have
all mine for the SAR, etc.

Horace
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dutton Family" <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-R] saving information


Hello Horace; sometimes copies of the original documents are needed, such
as for DAR, etc. I have read that the CDs only last for abt. 4-5 years,
they deteriorate rapidly. This was discussed on another site, awhile
back; and seems to me the concensus was that archival-quality paper was
the best way to store records.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Horace B. Peele" <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Q-R] saving information


> Hi,
>
> I ran into the same problem of saving tons of material to where my wife
got
> upset... And I finally resolved in my own mind that if I could reproduce
> the original document from my Family Tree Maker (FTM), then I would get
rid
> of the original document itself. Of course I enter all the references
into
> FTM.
>
> I back up routinely, at least once a month onto a DVD, and send it to the
> safe deposit box at the bank.. I save everything on a DVD rom which I can
> write from my computer. I then keep about the last six copies of the DVD
so
> that give me monthly increments of my work. It would be best to back it
up
> each week.
>
> Horace
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dutton Family" <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 9:53 AM
> Subject: Re: [Q-R] saving information
>
>
> For myself, I have everything on paper, in triplicate ; and some is on
my
> computer- I have so many paper files I cannot find anything anymore,
> and need to find a better way to organize. but I have given some of it
to
> my son, and am starting the Family Tree thingy. This hits home,
because
> my Aunt did all this research over 50 years ago, all on paper of course-
> she fell ill, lost her house, and put it into storage- then she died
and
> her furniture w/files was auctioned off, everything lost. So now I am
> re-tracing her research; but am trying to spread it around to the kids.
> I see folks with a large note-book-binder with their family history,
when
> I go to the Library for research; seems thats a good idea, in
triplicate.
> Any ideas need to be put out there. Thanks, Sally
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <>
> To: <>
> Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 9:26 AM
> Subject: Re: [Q-R] saving information
>
>
> > What you say is great advice! However, most won't follow it...like me.
> I
> > had a hard drive crash a few years ago and lost a complete family
> > file...hundreds of pages. Have never had the ambition to attempt to
> redo it.
> > Certainly lost lots of hours of work. I do keep back up disks, but
> don't update
> > them often as I should, and they are in same office. One reason I
like
> to
> > share my data is to insure that somewhere most of it will still exist.
> >
> > Rodney Veitschegger, Bowling Green, Ky
> >
> >
> > ==== QUAKER-ROOTS Mailing List ====
> > HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS LIST: Send an email to:
> >
> > The ONLY word in your message should be UNSUBSCRIBE.
> >
>
>
>
> ==== QUAKER-ROOTS Mailing List ====
> Visit The Quaker Corner - http://www.rootsweb.com/~quakers
>
>
>
>
> ==== QUAKER-ROOTS Mailing List ====
> Quaker-Roots Archives - Search List Messages From 1996 On
> http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl
>



==== QUAKER-ROOTS Mailing List ====
HOW TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS LIST: Send an email to:

The ONLY word in your message should be UNSUBSCRIBE.




This thread: