QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2008-11 > 1227845709

From: "Leslie Hope" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] GIFFORD
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 20:15:09 -0800
References: <82C4744648DB4F41B1ED1C832CA359CB@ods02591PC> <006001c95095$0bb377f0$0f01a8c0@DF6F4DF1> <E2C86F63-92FC-469B-B6A6-6C0CF9B48576@comcast.net><002201c950de$a6205b70$0f01a8c0@DF6F4DF1><007b01c950f1$ed9d28d0$c8d77a70$@com><000a01c950fd$1c931900$0f01a8c0@DF6F4DF1>
In-Reply-To: <000a01c950fd$1c931900$0f01a8c0@DF6F4DF1>

Sorry, Banks, I don't have anything on Elizabeth Grant. There's quite a long
discussion on a genforum message board about the lack of documentation that
William Gifford and Elizabeth Grant whose marriage record exists in London
are actually the parents of Robert Gifford.

In my line of descent below I left out a generation. Here's how it should
read:

William Gifford/Elizabeth Grant
Robert Gifford/Sarah Wing
Jeremiah Gifford/Mary Wright
Benjamin Gifford/Eunice Beard
Hannah Gifford/William Beeson
Jonathan L. Beeson/Miriam Hinshaw
William Meredith Beeson/Malinda Mason
Lillie Mae Beeson/the Rev.Stephen Davis Horine (my ggrandparents)

From: Banks Hinshaw [mailto:]
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:01 PM
To: Leslie Hope;
Cc: 'Gregory Morley'
Subject: Re: [Q-R] GIFFORD

Leslie

Could you send me some source material for Elizabeth Grant. She is one who
has eluded me. Thanks.

I am related to Miriam through John of County Tyrone (b. 1747).

Banks

From: "Leslie Hope" <>
Cc: "'Banks Hinshaw'" <>; "'Gregory Morley'"
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:40 PM
Subject: RE: [Q-R] GIFFORD

> Here's my Gifford line:
> William Gifford/Elizabeth Grant
> Robert Gifford/Sarah Wing
> Jeremiah Gifford/Mary Wright
> Benjamin Gifford/Eunice Beard
> Hannah Gifford/William Beeson
> Jonathan L. Beeson/Miriam Hinshaw
> Lillie Mae Beeson/the Rev.Stephen Davis Horine (my ggrandparents)
> Marilyn Monroe is also a Gifford descendant (and a Mayflower descendant)
> if
> her father is who he is said to be.
> leslie hope
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> [mailto:] On Behalf Of Banks Hinshaw
> Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 2:23 PM
> To: Gregory Morley
> Cc:
> Subject: Re: [Q-R] GIFFORD
> Greg,
> That is my line but I am not descended from William Gifford who married
> Kezia Jones but from his sister Eunice, who married Jesse Hinshaw . The
> William I mentioned was this William's great great grandfather. I am
> interested in your source, which may very well be me. James Bellarts
> states
> the marriage of Jonathan Gifford and Eunis Beard is recorded in "The
> Sherburn Legal Book, Book I, page 112. He also notes that they left
> Nantucket and he documents a Eunice Gifford as born 20 June 1778 in North
> Carolina. Bellarts failed to connect this Eunice to Jonathan and Eunice
> from
> Nantucket but I noted many years ago that Hiram Hilty says that a Jonathan
> Gifford was rocf at New Garden Monthly Meeting between 1771 and 1775. For
> this he quotes: Dorothy Lloyd Gilbert, "First Friends at New Garden in
> North
> Carolina", Bulletin of the Friends Historical Association, Haverford, Pa.,
> Autumn. 1945. The connection, once recognized, can be confirmed in
> William
> Wade Hinshaw. Jonathan Giffo!
> rd descends through his grandmother Mary Wright from two Mayflower
> passengers, John Soule and Francis Cooke, thus any descendent of Jeremiah
> Gifford and Mary Wright has Mayflower ancestry.
> Happy Thanksgiving.
> Banks Hinshaw
> From: "Gregory Morley" <>
> To: "Banks Hinshaw" <>
> Cc: "James Peacock" <>; <>
> Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 4:55 PM
> Subject: Re: [Q-R] GIFFORD
>>I need to look at this more closely but a cursory review of my sources
>> indicate my 5G-grandfather, Nathan Stubbs, Sr., married Elizabeth
>> Jones (dt. of Francis and Sarah (Jones) Jones), older sister to Kezia
>> Jones who married William Gifford, b. 10-20-1773, d. 1813 (s. of
>> Jonathan and Eunice (Macy) Gifford of Nantucket, MA). The source
>> states this Gifford line descended from the Mayflower. Is this your
>> William Gifford? (Source: Jones, C. B. (1951). Jones and related
>> families. Marcellus, MI: Private)
>> I wonder if this Gifford line is related to Lucy Gifford, who married
>> Dewitt Randall, their son Charles Randall b. 9-3-1887, m. Mary Frances
>> Taylor 5-19-1909 at Elk MM, West Elkton, OH.
>> Regards,
>> Gregory Morley
>> Jones>Stubbs>Mendenhall>Taylor
>> On Nov 27, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Banks Hinshaw wrote:
>> Jim,
>> I am descended from William Gifford the immigrant whoses children were
>> (at
>> least) Mary, John, Patience, Annaniah, William, Robert, and
>> Christopher. I
>> am from Robert's line (wife Sarah Wing) and his son Jeremiah.
>> Jeremiah's
>> grandson Jonathan migrated to North Carolina where I live today. I have
>> some information on other William Gifford offspring. Which line
>> interests
>> you?
>> Banks Hinshaw
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "James Peacock" <>
>> To: <>; <>
>> Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:53 PM
>> Subject: [Q-R] GIFFORD
>>> My wife was a Gifford and descended from William Gifford of Sandwich,
>>> Massachusetts. Interested in other descendants of William Gifford and
>>> your lines of descendants. Happy to share information.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>>> without the
>>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and
>> the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> Internal Virus Database is out of date.
> Checked by AVG.
> Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.5.4/1567 - Release Date: 7/22/2008
> 4:05 PM

Internal Virus Database is out of date.
Checked by AVG.