QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2009-01 > 1232729794

From: "Carl J. Denbow" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Monthly Meetings in [Monroe County, Ohio]
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:56:34 -0500

Thanks, Tom, for all of your information. Any idea where the records of
the Sunsbury meetings (circa 1840-1860) might be located? From one of
your other posts I was able to contact folks at the Deer Creek MM for
information on their records and am waiting a response. The person I'm
trying to track down is my g3grandmother Martha A. Sharp, who later
became Martha Denbow. She was from a Quaker family back in Harford
County, Maryland, and was -- according to family story -- thrown out for
"marrying out of meeting." I don't think she ever affiliated with the
Quakers after moving to Monroe County, Ohio, but I thought it worth
looking into. Most of her children are buried in a rural Methodist
cemetery, though she is in a private cemetery. Her second husband
(John Denbow died in 1862 while serving in the U.S. Army fighting the
late Rebellion) was instrumental in founding the Buchanan Presbyterian
church, near Lewisville, Ohio, in Monroe County. John himself is an
interesting character. He was never to my knowledge a Quaker but he
apparently shared his wife's Quaker sentiments on slavery and joined the
Union army at age 63, by telling the recruitment officer that he was
44. We have photo of him, and he does look young for his age.

Thanks, again, for all of your help.

Carl