QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2009-01 > 1233023938

From: "Mark E. Dixon" <>
Subject: [Q-R] John Copeland
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:38:58 -0500

I'm a Copeland descendant and, of course, would love to be able to include "earless" John Copeland, the Quaker martyr, in the family along with Samuel Shattuck. Unfortunately, the documentation seems to get a bit thin by the time I get back to the 17th Century.

What I have is a line I "inherited" it from a distant cousin (now deceased) about 20 years ago - and, frankly, I've always doubted it because I found other issues with her work. Basically, it ran like this:

Thomas Copeland (b. 1635, London) m. Martha Winslow
Thomas Copeland (b. 1667, North Carolina) m. Gulielma Griffin
Henry Copeland (b. 1699, North Carolina) m. Margaret Savage
Henry Copeland (b. 1724, Isle of Wight, VA) m. Rachel
Joshua Copeland (b. ca. 1749) m. Susannah Pike
Samuel Thomas Copeland (b. 1773, North Carolina) m. Pharaby Cotton
Susannah Copeland (b. 1812, North Carolina) m. John Black

I'm comfortable as far back as Joshua because he's cited in Susannah's obituary. Some widely posted Copeland lines replace everyone north of Joshua and run like this:

Lawrence Copeland (b. ca. 1590, York, England) m. Ruth
John Copeland* (b. 1611/12, York, England) m. Sarah Ratcliffe
William Copeland (b. 1650, Isle of Wight, VA) m. Christian
Charles Copeland (b. ca. 1693, North Carolina) m. Mary
Joshua Copeland (b. ca. 1749) m. Susannah Pike
Etc.

I have no documentation for either line. Isn't it always the way?

Thanks!

Mark E. Dixon
Wayne, PA