QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2009-05 > 1243721476

Subject: Re: [Q-R] yDNA Marker test
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 18:11:16 EDT

I replied privately to the original poster because I didn't think this
thread was on-topic for the QR list but I do feel it is necessary to reply to
this statement and say that haplogroups are based on Y-DNA and will not
tell you ANYTHING about your father's mother's family which was the original
query in this thread. So for the original poster in this thread asking about
possible NA ancestry on his father's mother's side--Y-DNA testing will
tell him nothing about that side. While DNA testing can tell us many things
and genes don't lie, we also shouldn't over-promise something what a standard
Y-DNA test can't offer. All you will learn about in Y testing is the top
line of your pedigree -- your father's father's father's side on back.

There are other types of DNA tests that can offer some information as to
ethnic origins -- European, African, Asian and Native American, for
example...these tests are not reliable for more than the most recent 5 or so
generations. Again, our poster was asking about NA ancestry in the 1600s or
thereabouts--certainly not within the more recent generations.

Joan

In a message dated 5/30/2009 5:45:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,