QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2009-07 > 1246482451

From: Jennifer LeMar <>
Subject: [Q-R] SPRAY-LEMAR, Madison, Warren Counties, Iowa
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 16:07:31 -0500

My husband's great-great-grandmother, Mary (Spray) LeMar, was born in Ohio in 1838 and died in Earlham, Iowa in 7 MAY 1895. She married George Washington LeMar in Madison County, Iowa 19 MAY 1858. George was also from Ohio, and I found records in Hinshaw recording the birth of his cousin, Samuel Kenton LeMar in the records of the Caesars Creek Monthly Meeting.

I've been hopelessly unable to connect Mary to any of the Sprays in Caesars Creek. In the 1860 Census, an Anna Spray was living with George and Mary LeMar and their son, Calvin, in Madison Township, near Earlham. I had originally thought that Mary was the daughter of Henry Spray and Rhoda Briggers, but Mary W. (Spray) Kenworthy, not Mary (Spray) LeMar, is their daughter.

I don't know if Mary came to Iowa with George, on her own, or with family members. I've never been able to locate information regarding her parents. George was illegitimate, and his mother, Cynthia (LeMar) Stanley, Samuel Kenton LeMar's sister, married Joab Stanley and remained in Ohio. Cynthia (LeMar) Stanley died in Greene County, Ohio in 1908.

I had never heard of Quaker heritage in our LeMar family, but it obviously exists. How do I go about tracking down Mary and her ancestors and connecting her to the right tree? I've followed a group of Sprays into Indianola, Iowa who I have a hunch may be cousins, if anything. But I can find no proof. So I'm thinking I may be searching for records from Ackworth MM and Bear Creek MM. Hinshaw does show a transfer of certificate for a Sarah Spray from Caesars Creek MM to Bear Creek MM. But that's all I've got at this point.

I would greatly appreciate any insight you can offer!

Thanks so much,

Jennifer LeMar

This thread: