QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2010-04 > 1270234607

From: "Eleanor W. Helper" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Quakers during the Reconstruction
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:04:55 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Sara for your inquiry.  While I have nothing on your Thwaites, I have some background information on Quakers after the Civil War and some service actibities. A large numbver of Quakers went south beginning even while the Civil War was still going on to teach in special schools for the '"freedmen", aka know as former slaves--at least after the Emancipation Proclamation.   Philadelphi Yearly Meeting sponsored many schools.  Persons from other faiths also had projects of this kind..  I recently learned that over 200 Oberlin college students went south for this purpose.

One set of my great grandparents, Walter and Rachel Marriage, came from Canada in 1870 to run a school in Clover Depot, Virginia, along with 4 of their children and suffered many hardships and serious illness.  I suspect the latter was malaria (mention of swamps and symptoms of chills & fever).  In 1872 they moved to run a school  in Lincolnton, N.C.  In 1875 they pulled up stakes and moved to Oskaloosa, Iowa.  I have not been able to find out why.  They transferred to other meetings in south central Iowa and were active in various Friends' affairs.  Again I do not know why they moved around so much.  She died in 1897, he a bit earlier.

You might be able to find out more from Philadelphia Yearly Meeting records, some of which are housed at Haverford College Special collections in Haverford, PS
.
I gained much information from reading a Haverford microfilm of a newspaper, the Freedman's Friend.  There were a number of letters from the marriages reporting on their activities as well as letters from the schools' superintendent about their work as well as many other teachers.  It is not indexed.

Good luck.

Eleanor