QUARTERMAN-L Archives

Archiver > QUARTERMAN > 2004-05 > 1083602597

Subject: List Admin Announcement
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:43:17 EDT

Hello everyone

I don't usually pass on information that has nothign to do with the lists,
but I feel this does pertain to many of us.

If you have submitted a family tree to Ancestry.com, you might want
to know of the change about to be implemented by them. The Family
Trees that have been donated to Ancestry for free distribution to
other
researchers are about to be sold by subscription: the OneWorldTree
Preview cost will be $49.95 for 14 months. If you'd prefer that your
information was not sold, there is a link below which will take you
to a set of instructions on opting out by deleting your tree.
After clicking on the link and arriving at the page, click on "What's
a preview?" near the top of the page.
Read thoroughly and then click on "View our checklist" (which appears
on #3).
Among other things, you will see the following sentence:
"If for any reason you do not want your tree to be part of the new
OneWorldTree service, you must delete it from the Ancestry World
Tree database by tentatively May 21, 2004."
This is the link: http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/trees/owt/
And at this link you can see that it is going to be a for-fee service:
http://trees.ancestry.com/owt/about.aspx

You have the right to have your information removed! If you disagree with
Ancestry charging for this information, show your disagreement by removing your
gedcom.

ListMom
GnlgyNut

This thread: