QUEBEC-HESSIANS-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-HESSIANS > 2004-04 > 1082672672

From: "John Merz" <>
Subject: Re: [Que-Hessians] Caspar KLINSHROTH - Kleinschmidt, Brunswicker.
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:24:32 -0400

Dear Dominique,
I have searched through all military files of the German auxiliary troops,
including the Brunswickers, and there is nowhere a KLINSHROT,
KLINSCHRODT or KLEINSCHRODT listed. In my opinion it would be
easy to misread a signature Kleinschmidt, and btw. there is no spelling
of 'sh' in the German language, it's always 'sch' or it has been anglicized
as 'sh', in other words, he may have anglicized his signature and this is
not his original name anymore. In any event - if I had found the name
KLEINSCHMIDT, as mentioned in the Brunswicker lists and by Virginia,
in some other records, I would not have connected these two names, but
since I cannot find any Kleinschmidt anywhere, I must assume these
two are the same man.
Thanks for your diligent research,
John