QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2002-07 > 1027269561

From: "Richard Van Wasshnova" <>
Subject: [Q-R] "Confirmed"? -religious or secular definition? was: David family ancestors
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:45:16 -0700

Hi,

When I first read "Confirmed in ....", used in Jette and other genealogy
books I thought it was referring to the Sacrament of Confirmation. Later I
noticed some people being confirmed in Quebec, rec1661 and rec1666, or
something like that, anyway I'm fairly confident a census is one form of
confirmation that a person is at a certain place and time.

In Bridget's usage, is confirmed a sacrament, census, marriage or what? A
census wouldn't name his parents unless he were living with them would it?
Also did Blaise David and Flavie Morel ever come to Canada? I didn't think
they did.

I think a lot of us are unclear on the meaning or usage of confirmed in
genealogy texts.

Thanks
--
Richard Van Wasshnova