QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2003-12 > 1070737805

From: "Renee Cummings" <>
Subject: RE: [Q-R] Moscow, Canada East abt 1830
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 14:10:05 -0500

http://www.nt.net/world/moscow.htm

Moscow Ontario is a tiny village north of Kingston. We like to call it a
village, but technically it is a hamlet. Don't blink or you will miss it. It
is so quiet in our little village that when Laurent Vaillancourt came here
they drew quite a crowd. The globe now resides in my yard at the main
intersection of Moscow also called Downtown Moscow...."

44'26" _ 76'48 N.W.
Known as Huffman Settlement. In 1854 the name was changed to Springfield,
but there was postal confusion with similarly-named places. The same year
the name was changed to Moscow to commemorate Napoleon's retreat from the
Russian city in 1812.
http://www.nt.net/world/lieux.htm
See is on the map at this site and many other interesting places<g>
Good luck
Renee