QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2004-05 > 1084492988

Subject: Excerpt Of History
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 20:03:08 EDT

"The Grand Traverse Stone was plowed up about 1877 on a farm in Grand
Traverse County, Michigan. A small boy following his father and plow picked it up.
The stone is slate, 1/2 inch thick and 2 1/2 inches on each side. The symbols on
the Stone are similar to those in the Pan-Mediterranean alphabet in use about
the time of Christ.
D.B. Buchanan, an American epigrapher, recently undertook the task of
translating the Stone. Buchanan had built up an inscription data base containing the
variants of symbols used in the Pan-Mediterranean alphabet. He found that most
of the characters on the Stone could be found in his data base. Buchanan then
converted the Stone's symbols to Roman equivalents and tested sound values in
Greek and other Mediterranean languages. He concluded that the Stone used a
late form of Vulgar Latin.
His translation: "I am carrying in accounts, 10 talents. To 10 add 1 voided
or useless. I am collecting or sending 11 only, 10 of which I can confirm.
Transaction is 11 in all or total."
The Grand Traverse Stone therefore seems to be a financial document of some
kind. Buchanan dates it between 100BC and 100AD."

This thread: