QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-06 > 1118330767

From: "P. Smith" <>
Subject: Dispensations
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 11:26:07 -0400

Thank you so much for your response. I didn't realise 3rd cousins had to
have a dispensation. Is that still true today? I had a great aunt and
uncle who were 1st cousins and I was told they never had children for that
reason.
Marie

Finally, "Dispense du 4e degre de consanguinite" means "dispensation from
the fourth degree of consanguinity in the collateral line. The first degree
is siblings, so the other degrees are one digit higher than the "cousin"
number. The 4th degree is 3rd cousins, individuals who have at least one
great-great-parent in common.

Fr. Owen Taggart

This thread: