QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-06 > 1118751419

Subject: Re: [Q-R] PRDH Question
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:16:59 EDT

To add to Father Taggart's reply, the "p" indicating "present" is not always
true. PRDH assumes the parents are "present" at a baptism unless indicated as
absent, but I have proven that Lamothe Cadillac, at least, was not present at
the April 1695 baptism of one of his children because he is then documented as
commandant of Michilimackinac, having gone up there the previous fall of
1694. Maurice Ménard was also in or on his way to Michilimackinac in the summer of
1706 when his daughter Suzanne was baptized. Furthermore, I doubt all mothers
could attend the baptism of their children. It is better to read the "p" as
presumed "alive", although some records do indicate that parents are present
and I have seen that some fathers signed the record.

Suzanne

In a message dated 6/9/2005 8:08:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,