QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-06 > 1118891450

From: Gérald Bourguignon <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Use of mother's surname
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 23:10:50 -0400

> ... and he often would write the bride's mother's family name, or even
> the grandmother's, instead of the bride's maiden name. And he would
> write the name of the godmother's sister, or her mother, instead of
> hers, on a baptism record.

I came across such an entry a few years ago, shortly after Frank Watters
was so kind as to transcribe and send me the baptisms for almost all the
children of my great great grandparents Joseph Bourguignon and Marie
Gibeau at St-André-d'Argenteuil. I knew they had a son William but his
baptism was missing. So I ordered the microfilm and, as I had
suspected, there he was listed under Gibeau. The name William Gibeau was
listed in the index and in the margin, but the baptism was for William,
son of Joseph Bourguignon and Marie Gibeau.

Then there are the errors in transcription which I've come across as
well. For example, in the St-Jacques Montcalm burial repertoire there
was a Joseph Périard listed as being 4 1/2 years of age when he died.
However, in the original registry it was clearly written that he was
"quatre mois et demi". That made a big difference in determining which
Joseph he was. As well I had noted from the Trois-Rivières baptism
repertoire a few years ago that the godmother of a certain child was
listed as Ursule Pratte. When I checked the registry last evening it was
written Ursule Turcotte. More an error or difference of interpretation
I suppose. And they are certainly plentiful in the transcriptions of
census records. Always better to check the original record but so much
more time consuming.

Gérald

This thread: