QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-06 > 1119142912

From: "JeanPayton" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] bread pudding recipe
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:01:52 -0400

This recipe comes from Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana. Once
I tried this pudding from their menu when we visited New Orleans I have not
made the old kind of which my mother taught me. This recipe is much much
better.

10 slices day old bread broken into pieces
4 cups milk scalded
1 cup cream
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 rsp nutmeg
1/4 cup butter melted
1/2 seedless raisins

Combine bread, milk and cream. Beat eggs,, add sugar and mix well. Stir in
bread mixture and add vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in butter and
raisins. Pour into buttered 2 quart baking dish and set iom a pan of warm
water about 1 inch deep. Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until knife
inserted in center comes our clean. Makes 6 servings.

Now for the topping for the bread pudding:

3 egg yolks
1cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 tblsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 ounces of brandy or whiskey

In a sauce pan sloghtly beat egg yolks then add the next three ingredients
and blend well/ Cook over low heat until mixture comes to a boil. Blend
cornstarch and water and stir into hot misture. continue cooking until
thickened. Remove from heat and stir in brandy or whiskey. Serve over
pudding when cooled.
Jean Payton