QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-06 > 1120085000

Subject: A Family Affair
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:43:20 EDT

A family affair
The Hubbell family celebrate their reunion in Albuquerque to honor their
long lineage and history in New Mexico
Some people boast a big family tree, with roots that go back years, decades,
maybe even a century or two.
In terms of genealogy, Albuquerque's Hubbell family has a veritable forest.
One of the city's best-known families is putting on a reunion today through
Saturday, an event that should do honor to a longer-than-long lineage that
has been transferred into a 1,200-page book now in its second printing.
The Hubbells, who trace their heritage to England in 1066, live around the
world but have played an important part in New Mexico history for generations.
Today there are still several dozen living around the state.
"We're still finding them," said Carol Hubbell Chapman, one of the local
Hubbells organizing the reunion.
The first Hubbell in New Mexico was James L. Hubbell, who came to fight the
Mexican-American War in the mid-19th century. Like the rest of the American
Hubbells, he was a descendant of Richard Hubbell, who emigrated from Bewdley,
England around 1640.
James Hubbell settled just south of Albuquerque in Pajarito after marrying
Juanita Gutierrez, the heiress to the 40,000-acre Pajarito Land Grant in what
is now the South Valley. At one point James Hubble, who became a wealthy
livestock owner and merchant, was the second-largest land owner in New Mexico.
Hubbell and Gutierrez lived in the now-famous Hubbell House in the Pajarito
neighborhood, where they raised 12 kids. One of those kids, Juan Lorenzo
Hubbell, went on to found an empire of trading posts, starting in Ganado, Ariz.
The reunion starts today in Ganado but will be located mostly in and around
Albuquerque. There will be a tour of the historic Hubbell house, which is now
owned by Bernalillo County and is under renovation.
About 150 to 200 Hubbells from around the world plan to attend the event.
Each one will bring a unique story and sometimes a unique take on the name.
Event organizers said there are several variations of the Hubbell name,
including Hubble, Hubbel, Hubel or Huble. To verify that each person is indeed a
true Hubbell, the reunion is going to offer free DNA testing.
This will also be the first year that Hubbells from nearby Navajo and Zuni
reservations will be attending a reunion. Margie Hlava, the reunion chair,
said both Juan Lorenzo Hubbell and his son Ramon had children out of wedlock
with American Indians.
Hlava said the fathers recognized the legitimacy of the children but their
wives did not. A rift ensued and many of the children were never considered
part of the Hubbell genealogy.
Ramon Hubbell's son Billy John, 82, and his granddaughter Mary Gurule, 50,
who live in White Cone, Ariz., in the Navajo Nation, are meeting up with the
reunion in Ganado and then following it back to Albuquerque.
Gurule said she and her dad knew they were Hubbells but never knew about the
reunions until recently. They first met other Hubbells last year when event
organizers came out to scout Ganado and Albuquerque as potential reunion
sites. This will be their first official reunion.
Gurule said she was excited to finally participate in a reunion.
"We were really curious, we didn't know what kind of people we would see,"
Gurule said. "We are looking forward to meeting the rest of them in
Albuquerque."

This thread: