QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2005-11 > 1132278166

Subject: Re: [Q-R] definition of consanguinity
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:42:46 EST

There are many methods of determining relationship by consanguinity. The
Catholic Church has changed its own definition between the 1917 Code of Canon
Law and the 1983 Code of Canon Law.

The method you mention in your message, Rich, is one method of computing
consanguinial relationship. It differs from the canonical definition. It does
not change the facts, in any case. The fact is we have two parents, four
grand-parents, eight great-grandparents, and so on unto the generations. How
the relationship between me and another descendant of my great-grandparents
(or previous generations) is described is a matter of definition, but the
actual relationship is ineluctable.

Fr. Owen Taggart

This thread: