QUEBEC-RESEARCH-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC-RESEARCH > 2011-02 > 1296833668

From: Mona Andrée Rainville <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] slave baptisms
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 10:34:28 -0500

Hi Pam and all,

In 1960, the recently passed away Marcel Trudel published a Dictionnary
of Salves in New France. It lists over 4,000 slaves, about one third of
which were black. The book also names the owners, some of whom were
clergy. You can well imagine the rocky reception this book received at
the time.

Also, there is a black slaves cemetery in Quebec, in Saint-Armand in the
Eastern Townships. It is marked by a sing that says "Negro Cemetery".
The owners of the land where it is situated have attempted to get rid of
it, and would have succeeded was it not for the citizens of the village
who are determined to see the cemetery protected.

More about this, here:
http://townshipsheritage.com/news/slavery-saint-armand

Cheers,

Mona