QUEBEC-L Archives

Archiver > QUEBEC > 2011-10 > 1318213011

From: Sheila Lafleur <>
Subject: Re: [QUEBEC] death registration Rohmann = Romaine=Romain
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 22:16:51 -0400

Hi Mary Anne

I am confused as well what I can tell you is.....

with the German Auxiliary Troop

entry #1 Adam Rohmann, Brunswich troops, born Frellstedte, age 24 years 2
months

discharge June 26, 1783

entry #2 Adam Romain, Regt. Riedesel, Speth's co. part of the Brunswihck
Troops born Dornstadt age 23 years 7 months

so these are 2 DIFFERENT men both born 1759 one in Frellstedte and one in
Dornstadt is that correct? Thats how it looks to me

Did both these Adams stay in Canada?

Lower Canada Land Petitions pp. 24766-24769, "List of the Town Lots in the
Seignory of Sorel Granted to Refugee Loyalists in 1787", has the name Adam
Romaine on it. Would this be #1 or # 2 Adam ?

Also in a french written book Les Mercenaires Allemands au Quebec by Jean
Pierre Wilhelmy in the front of the book Adams's last name is written
Rohmann, it then has a section that mentions all the soldiers who descided
to stay in Canada and Adam's last name is spelled as Romann there.

according to Dominique Ritchot The Adam Roman (Rohmann) who was buried Nov.
7th 1820 at Mtl Christ Church was a former auxiliary german soldier
(Brunswick troops). He was married 1st th Mary Cameron and second to Josephe
Moreau (places and dates unknown, probably before a military chaplain). He
had three children known children : John (bpt. Dec. 15 1784, Trois-Rivieres
protestant church) who was married in 1816 to Helen McLaughling and
Marguerite who was married 1815 to Joseph Wagner (a butcher). What I find
interesting about Adam Rohman (Roman, Romain) was that he was a butcher by
trade, ( death act has it written as Romain )........ I was TOLD since my
lousy PC / dialup wont let me go to FamilySearch.org that on the reg. for
child John wife name written Mary Cameron BUT I was also told that in the
entry just above it ( I can't confirm) that that child as well has mosther
listed as MARY CAMERON hmmm did the Prist get distracted and write the
same name down twice in error? It does seem suspicious

My Augustin Romain married Adelaide Briseboise in Notre Dame in Montreal

transcribed into English....

On the thirty of July 1822 after the publication of a bann of marriage
without no impediment nor opposition and after having obtained a
dispensation, for the two other banns from Messire Jean Henry August
Roux,... Vicar General of the Lord Bishop of Quebec, I the undersigned
priest acting as Parish Priest, duly authorized to this effect by the said
Messire Roux, Vicar General, having taken the mutual consent in person
(paroles de prés) of Augustin Romain voyageur coming from des `pays en haut'
(Ottawa river region) living since a short time in this parish, son of age
of the late Adam Romain and of the deceased Marguerite Picard of this parish
for one part, and of Adélaide Brisbois, coming from Fort Coulonge and
residing since a short time at Ste-Genevieve (Pierrefonds) daughter under
age of Jean-Baptiste Brisbois voyageur and of Thérèse Godin, consenting, of
Fort Coulonge in the 'Pays en haut' for the other part, have married them
following the laws and the customs observed by the Holy Church, in present
of Louis Ganse undersigned, of Angélique Roulo, of Thérèse Godin mother of
the bride and of many others, some of them having declared not knowing how
to sign as the groom, the others have signed with the bride.

I have not see Augustin's death he is said to have died March 31, 1856
LaPasse

in 1824 bapt of Marie Elmira Romain Notre Dame, daughter of Augustin &
Adelaide of Fort Coulonge ( also states Augustin as a butcher)
This would be my great great great grandmother

clear as mudd :-x

cheers
Sheila