QUEEN-L Archives

Archiver > QUEEN > 2011-02 > 1298701245

Subject: Re: [QUEEN] McQueen, MacQueen, or Macqueen?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 01:20:45 -0500 (EST)

Hi Don,

Some researchers say that some of the McQueen/MacQueen arrivals in MD/VA
early 1700s dropped the "Mc/Mac" prefix so that they could more easily get
land in the English controlled colonies (Scots couldn't get land that easily).

My 3g grandmother was Nancy Queen (married Samuel Carson c1823 Haywood NC),
and a couple of Nancy's Queen cousins moved to TX 1850s with them.
However, I grew up in TX and I've never met a person surnamed Queen. A friend
that grew up in western NC said he knew of a lot of Queen families in that
area.

Gary

In a message dated 2/25/2011 6:11:38 P.M. Central Standard Time,