Qualls-Quarles-L Archives

Archiver > Qualls-Quarles > 2001-02 > 0982816808

From: "Kathy" <>
Subject: [Qualls-Quarles] Re: Isaac Quarles in King William Co VA and his huge family
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:40:08 -0800

First - sorry for my error in the original message saying that Isaac's first
child could have been born in 1754 - of course I meant to say 1774 - the
year he was married.

The Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, vol. V is discussing the family of
Isaac Quarles JR. (not Sr.) The error there is that he was NOT the son of
Roger, but rather the son of Isaac and Elizabeth Sutherland. Dicey K.
Quarles can be seen as an apparent widow in the 1850 Census in Richmond VA
(pg. 306) - age 47 living with a few young females with both Quarles and
King surnames.

The probate record of Henry Quarles (shown below) was essential as far as I
can tell to discovering the relationship between Henry and his brother
Isaac. So far I haven't seen anything else that demonstates it.

One of the list members sent me this morning a copy of the Isaac Quarles
Bible record (which she hand copied from one she saw in a library) which
gave the names of 16 children - if anyone wants a copy, I will be happy to
forward it. Many of the children apparently died young. Given names in
addition to those I listed were James S. (who I forgot to list), James
Turner, Richard (d.y.), Betty, Henry (d.y.), Oscar (d.y.), Fendall
Southerland (d.y.).

Thanks for all the interest - I got several good leads and/or ideas from
people who responded. Unfortunately, however, I think I now have to
disregard Isaac as a possible ancestor of mine.

Kathy Beals