RAGAN-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > RAGAN-ROOTS > 1998-11 > 0909903616

From: <>
Subject: RAGIN family-South Carolina
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 02:00:16 EST

Hello Cousins!

This evening, while feeding the Trick-or-Treaters, I went through a book I've
had checked out of our local library for quite some time. (Since I'm the
Chairman of the Library Board the librarian hasn't bothered me about returning
it. She knows I'll bring it back sooner or later. 8-0)

This is a genealogy book on the BRADHAM family of South Carolina, but it
mentions some RAGIN & REGAN families. The following is what I found (hope it
helps someone):
==============
>From the book: “A Bradham Family History and Genealogy” by Janet BRADHAM
BREWSTER.

Copyright 1986
Janet Bradham Brewster
316 Brockington St
Manning, SC 29102

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 86-71079
ISBN 0-9616934-0-1

Page 20
The following year on 4 Mar 1813 Henry BRADHAM and James RAGIN witnessed the
sale of land by John RICHBOURG to Nathaniel RICHBOURG. This conveyeance
involved the sale of a 200 acre plantation for $200, the land <snip>

There is no question that Henry BRADHAM was well established and well
respected in the community, for his was one of six signatures which certified
on 19 Mar 1813 the character of a black boy, named Dick. Other signatures
were Claudius RICHBOURG, John H. RAGIN. Mich. C. WILDER, James RAGIN, and
Nath’l RICHBOURG. This instrument granted freedom to Dick, age 28 years.
<snip>

Page 85
William M. BRADHAM, brother of Abijah Randolph BRADHAM, lived first in Sumter
District (Clarendon Co.) before removing to Williamsburg Co., SC, where he and
his wife, Elizabeth Rebecca (RAGIN) BRADHAM, raised a family, seven of whom
lived to adulthood, married and had families of their own. <snip>

It is interesting to note that William and Elizabeth were living in 1830
within the same general area of several RAGIN families and very close to Henry
BRADHAM Sr. and his sons. <snip>

Page 86
Again on 12 Mar 1835 William together with William W. RAGIN and Samuel N.
THAMES, witnessed a deed of conveyance in Clarendon Co. between James R. BROCK
and William BROCK <snip>

Page 87
The transaction on 1 Feb 1860 contained a release of dowers rights of
William’s wife, Elizabeth Rebecca (RAGIN) BRADHAM. <snip>

Some of the other conveyances prior to 1900 in Williamsburg Co. Court House
for the family of William BRADHAM are as follows:

DATE GRANTEE GRANTOR Bk, page Desc
1890 BRADHAM E.R. A.T. RAGIN T, 35 220 acres
<snip>

Page 89
Susan, the youngest of William and Elizabeth’s children, was around 14 or 15
years old at the end of the war. She married James BODIFORD sometime in the
early 1870’s and it was with Susan and James that Elizabeth Rebecca (RAGIN)
BRADHAM spent her widowed years following William’s death. <snip>

William M. BRADHAM (ca 1798 - ca 187_)
m. ca 1824 Elizabeth Rebecca RAGIN (ca 1808 - aft 1890)
Both bur. probably at Black River Cemetery, Kingstree, SC. <snip>

Page 96
Fannie Alicenia BRADHAM d. 5 Aug 1924. Her will was proven in Kingstree on 30
Aug 1924 (Bndl 95, Pkg 5). It named Mamie Ida BRADHAM, Adm., and mentioned
the following heirs, all of Greelyville, SC: Willie M. BRADHAM, age 43;
Fannie A. RAGIN, age 46 <snip>

Page 108/109
JA-6 Fannie Alicenia “Alice” BRADHAM, b. Nov 1876 (1880 US Census); d. 1933;
m. Thomas Edward RAGIN, Jr. b. 22 Sep 1880; d. 1946; both bur. Pine Grove
Bapt. Church Cemetery, Williamsburg Co., SC. Fannie’s gravemarker gives her
birth year as 1882. Thomas Edward RAGAN, Jr. was the son of Anna Stacia
(Jayroe) and Thomas Edward RAGIN. More information on his family can be found
in Chap. V,A-8 William James BRADHAM. Their children b. Williamsburg Co., SC:

I. Fannie Vernell RAGIN b./d/ 4 Oct 1909; bur. Mt. Vernon Meth. Church
Cemetery, Williamsburg, SC.

II. Edna Mae RAGIN b. 2 Feb 1911; m. 18 Nov 1936 Charles Eugene WARD b. 13
June 1909.
Six children all b. Clarendon Co., SC:
1. Barbara Jean WARD b. 17 Dec 1937; m. James Arthur PARKER. Two
children:
1) James Arthur PARKER, Jr. b. 1 Aug 1957; m. 24 May 1984 Linda
INGRAM.
2) Eugenia Diane PARKER b. 24 Aug 1962; m. 24 Oct 1982 Jeff QUINN.

2. Charles O’Neil WARD b. 11 July 1939; m. Jueline SHORTER b. 7 Aug 1941.
Three children all b. Clarendon Co., SC:
1) Lori Ann WARD b. 3 Feb 1962
2) Tami Marie WARD b. 30 Aug 1966
3) Branda Kay WARD b. 6 Mar 1973

3. Audry Alice WARD b. 4 Jan 1941; d. May 1981; m. Quincy BULLOCK. One
child:

\ 1) Karen Alice BULLOCK

4. William Edward WARD b. 22 Nov 1942; m. Lynda Fay ARDIS. Three
children:

1) William Edward WARD b. 20 Jan 1966
2) Brian Eugene WARD b. 1 Mar 1970
3) John Coleman WARD b. 31 May 1973

5. Wendell Ray WARD b. 6 Aug 1946, m. Katherine Elizabeth RIGGS b. 20 Jan
1948. Two children:

1) Elizabeth Michelle WARD b. 7 Sep 1968
2) Billy Ray WARD b. 2 Sep 1980

6. Diane WARD b. 19 July 1950. Unmarried.

III. Marie Alice RAGIN b. 2 Feb 1913; m. 4 Apr 1940 Rufus Boyd THAMES b. 8
Apr 1905. Two children b. Clarendon Co., SC:
1. Rufus Boyd THAMES, Jr. b. 21 Apr 1942; m. Elmarine HARRINGTON b. 27
Aug 1940. Three children:
1) Steven Boyd THAMES b. 28 Mar 1963
2) Patricia Ann THAMES b. 30 Aug 1964; m. Mark CARROLL
3) Amy Lynn THAMES b. 5 Sep 1976

2. Charles Ragin THAMES b. 20 Dec 1944; m. Alice BERRY b. 11 July 1945,
Chesnee, SC. Two children:
1) Charles Ragin THAMES Jr. b. 12 Aug 1968
2) Michael Lorin THAMES b. 29 July 1970

IV. Julius Edward RAGIN b. 20 Dec 1915; d. 1942 at age 27; bur. Mt Vernon
Meth. Churchyard, Williamsburg Co., SC. Never married.
<snip>

Page 158
Endnote: The follwoing is a list of names taken from the returns submitted by
Lenorah BRADHAM to the Judge of Probate, Sumter District, (Bndl 128, Pkg 12),
estate of A.R. BRADHAM. These names include accounts receivable, accounts
payable, and buyers of the “sale of perishables”.
<snip>
DESCHAMP, Bull & Ragin
<snip>
R.I. RAGIN
<snip>

Page 375
Anna Stacia JAYROE is buried at Mt. Vernon Church Cemetery (near Manning, SC,
on road to Kingstree, SC) by her husband Thomas E. RAGIN. A single large
stone marker to both graves. The death date of Anna Stacia (9 June 1924) is
not cut on the stone. It was furnished by Dewey MIMMS from the RAGIN Family
Bible. <snip>

Page 377
Grandma BRADHAM’s only sister, Anna Stacia married Thomas Edward RAGIN, Sr. on
25 Jan 1872. Thomas Edward was born on 10 Oct 1837 and died on 25 Jan 1912.
The original home of Uncle Edward and Aunt Stacia (“Aunty” I called her) is
located about 4 mi. west of Kingstree on the right side of road going from
Manning to Kingstree. All out buildings (barns, etc.) are gone, also all
traces of a blacksmith shop run by Uncle Thomas (Uncle Tom, I called him,
rather than Edward or Thomas) have vanished. Across the road from the house
was a spring house where Aunty kept her milk, butter, eggs, cheeses, etc. cool
and fresh. I remember it well. Children of Anna Stacia and Uncle Thomas
RAGIN:
Born Died
Mary Darcie RAGIN Oct 10, 1874 Aug 9, 1948
Andrew J. RAGIN July 1, 1877
Thomas Edward RAGIN Jr. Sept 22, 1880
John P. RAGIN Dec 28, 1884

Thomas Edward RAGIN Jr. married Alice BRADHAM
<snip>
Thomas Edward RAGIN Jr., was the father and Alice (BRADHAM) RAGIN was the
mother of Marie (RAGIN) THAMES [JBB: see chapter, William BRADHAM, for the
genealogy of family of Marie (RAGIN) THAMES and her sister, Edna Mae (RAGIN
WARD.]

My cousin Darby (Darbie-not sure of spelling) RAGIN (Aunt Stacia’s daughter)
married John MIMS (J.D. MIMS, Jr.) on 30 Jan 1895. Children of John D. and
Darby (RAGIN) MIMS are:

Apgar Durant MIMS b. 1 Mar 1898*
Beatrice Modena MIMS b. 4 Apr 1900
Rebekah Ellen MIMS b. 26 Apr 1902

* “Dewey”, as he is called, is a nickname. Spanish American War Admiral Dewey
was famous at the time and the nickname of “Dewey” came from that source.
<snip>

Page 414
Laurens Walker BRADHAM m. 26 Dec 1932 Alberta “Pat” CURLIS (widow of Joseph
REGAN) b. 25 Dec 1898; d. 24 Sep 1983. <snip>

Page 419
Much research on the JAYROE family history was done by Peter Jullian CREECY,
grandson of William James BRADHAM, and by Joseph William JAYROE, grandson of
Mary Morgan (BRADHAM) JAYROE. Other families included in the works of these
researchers are those of Joseph E. LEWIS, Thomas RAGIN <snip>