RANEY-L Archives

Archiver > RANEY > 1999-05 > 0925591073

From: Marilyn Conlon <>
Subject: [RANEY-L] my Raney's
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 15:37:53 -0500

Hello cousins:
I will copy and paste some information on my Raney (Riney) ancestors:
Please let me know if you are related and if you have additions or
corrections or want any more info. Not known how much of this is written
in concrete. Thank you.
Marilyn (Sause) Conlon

Does anyone know about Jeremiah's Rev. War service? We found a Sgt
Jeremiah Raney #327 (original file under: Rainey #1229) and a Pvt #328,
in National Archives in DC, serving in NY 5th Regiment, but NY Archives
wrote to me saying they have no listing. That elusive Jeremiah!!!

Does anyone know if one of these 4 fella's was Jeremiah's father:??
John, James, Jonathon (Rev. Soldier) and Thomas Riney and son Zachariah
settled in St Mary's Co, MD from Ireland. They went
to Nelson Co, KY 1785-1792 where 60 families settled 5 colonies.
Zachariah Riney was Abe Lincoln's first teacher.
(See Warren's History of Lincoln.)
Most of Jeremiah and Mary Joan's children were b. in Washington Co, KY.
The last one or two in Martin Co, IN. It is said the spelling changed to
Raney in Indiana.

Rineyville, KY was named for family.
Jeremiah, brother Felix and cousins, Joseph Riney b.1772,
Robert Riney, and Clement Riney moved to Martin Co, IN in 1818.
The Yearbook of the Society of Indiana Pioneers, lists Jeremiah
and Mary Joan Riney.
Catherine Raney and Charles Raney came over on a ship in 1764.

I.JEREMIAH RANEY b.1757? Charles Co, MD. d.1840? Daniel Brooks chptr DAR
dedicated tombstone St.Rose Cem, Martin Co, IN. Sgt in Rev. War was
questioned and line was closed. 1st wife died, no children.
m. Mary Joan (Polly Sheehan Moore) b.1765? Galway, Ire.
came to US age 5. m.12-23-1797? in Wash.Co, KY. d.1845. Widow prev.
married to Col.Alexander Moore. Polly left 3 or 4 grown children in
Pleasanton, KY. Moved to Mt. Pleasant, Martin Co, IN l8l8. Polly's
mother went to IN and m. Thomas Rosche. (Was John Shehan a brother to
Mary Joan? He m. Rebecca Beall 5-22-1794 and lived in Maud, KY)
Children: A)Alexander Moore m. Nancy Curtsinger
B)Juliet Moore m. Merryweather
C)Martha Moore
{C.1) Mary E. Moore Weather?? Is this Merryweather?}
D)Elizabeth Hester Raney m. James Andrew Crooks
E)Sarah Ann Matilda Raney m. Charles Tewell
F)John Felix Raney m. Mary O'Neal
G)COL. JAMES VIRGIL RANEY m. MARY HELEN HOLLAND
H)Jonathan Raney m. Patsy Beck
I)Alexander Raney

G) COLONEL JAMES VIRGIL RANEY b.4-4-1809 Wash.Co.Ky
To Martin Co, IN age 9, 1818. Both bur StRose,MartinCo
(Col. Mex War and Recruiter in Civil War) d.9-21-1881.
(Built the Fred Raney house in 1840 Indiana? John Raney
farm. All bricks made by hand.)
m. Mary Helen (Holland), Galway Co.Clare,Ire.
b.7-22-1820 d.4-22-1891 m.10-15-1839 Daviess Co
Children:1)Francis Frank m. Sabrina Hill
2)Jeremiah Jerry m. Elizabeth Arvin
3)Mary Raney d. infancy
4)Johanna Minnie m. Charles M. Gootee
5)JOHN ALLEN RANEY m. MARTHA JANE JOHNSON
6)Alexander Raney d. age 11
7)Thomas J. m. Jennie Siefert
8,9)unnamed twins

5)JOHN ALLEN RANEY b.2-29-1848 d.4-11-1929 m.1871
m. Martha Jane (Mattie) Johnson b.7-11-1851 d.9-8-1933
b. Isle of Wight grew up in Epsworth England.
He was a buyer and shipper of stock to Cincinnati also
a schoolteacher.
(Martha daughter of Henry and Lucy (Kyle) Johnson who
lived at Mt.Pleasant Loogootee, IN. They also had Clara, Ophia
and Raymond Johnson.)
Children i) Henry Raney d. age 16
ii)Francis Eugene Frank Raney m. Ruth Eileen Nellie Gootee
iii)Arthur Vincent Raney d. age 15
iv)Clara Magdalen Raney m. Louis Bradley
v)Virgil James m. Bridget F. Malloy
vi)HOMER THOMAS m. MARY DOT MCCORD
vii)Alma Victoria Raney m. Ambrose J. Burch m. J. Francis Frank
McAtee m. Harry Stevenson
viii) Bertha Genevieve Raney m. Ownes Ralph Lents
ix)Frederick Walter Raney m. Catherine L. Brewer
x) Carl Bernard Buck Raney m. Clara Elizabeth Nolen
xi) John Russel Raney m. Lyona Smith Clark

vi) HOMER THOMAS RANEY b.5-21-1883 d.12-28-1944 bur.St Mary's
m. MARY DOTTIE MCCORD b.5-31-1887 Loogootee, Ind.
m. 9-19-1905 d.1-28-1971 buried St. Mary's Cem. KCMO
Children: I) Lillian Marie Raney m. James Vincent Chiavola
II) Charles Raney d. infancy
III) DOROTHY PHILOMENA RANEY m. MATTHEW JOSEPH SAUSE
IV) John Allen Raney never married
V) Martha Wynona Raney m. George Francis King
VI) Mary Henrietta Raney m. George Edwin Center
VII) Fabian Frederick Raney m. Ruby Luvenia Burch
VIII) Homer Thomas Raney Jr. died age 5, hit by car
IX) Richard George Raney m. Frances Jean Johnson
X) Francis Eugene Raney never married
XI) Paul Ramon Raney m. Loretta Marshall

I am Matt and Phil's daughter and my son lives near Orlando and my
daughter and son-in-law live near where Jeremiah started out in the mid
1700's.

Hope there are some connections out there. I have dates for most of the
folks listed. Thanks for having the Raney List, Marcy.
Marilyn (Sause) Conlon

This thread: