RAPER-L Archives

Archiver > RAPER > 2005-05 > 1115858167

From: "Betty Merle" <>
Subject: RaperAncestors.Com
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 17:36:07 -0700

I have just converted to Family Tree Maker 2005. A new Family Tree should be on
the website within a day or two. The new version displays info in a new format,
so I'm not sure how it will work on the website. It may look the same.

I have made a few changes to existing info. Kay Armstrong and I recently spent
a week in Charleston SC digging in old records. What a beautiful city!!
We have two ancestors associated with Charleston. Robert Raper, the Charleston
lawyer who had extensive business dealings there - and many records. John
Raper, his brother, and who is believed to be the father of William Raper b.
1725 who settled in Abbotts Creek NC.

In 1731, John gave power of attorney to his brother, Robert, and disappears.
Acting on hunches and educated guesses, Delilah Elsen began looking for John in
Barbados. We know there was much trading between Barbados and the Carolinas in
1700s. She found a marriage record John Raper to Catherine Harwood, St. Thomas
Parish, Oct. 16, 1724. The info I originally had on file for John came from
some very early work of Rebecca Austin. While in Charleston, we found a deed
for John Raper, vintner, and wife Catherine. The word vintner is important as
it is used often in conjunction with our John.

I don't expect all of you to be interested in these technicalities. I just want
to assure you that when a substantial change is made, especially in the early
generations, it is because there is evidence to support it. The family tree has
grown so much that it is impossible for me to monitor every entry. I try to
respond to inquiries as I can. When someone submits info on their own branch of
the tree, they give me supporting info, and I am comfortable changing it. Just
not the info for ancestors past William Raper b. 1725.

Another little interesting tidbit that has our heads spinning. While in
Charleston, we found records for a William Raper, described as an adult
mulatto, baptized at St. Phillips in Charleston. He also left a will. He was a
bricklayer, his mother's name was Hannah, wife Susanna. He had an extensive
estate, including slaves. We haven't even began to figure out who he was.

Hope all of you are well and enjoying your genealogy.

Betty Merle

Visit my genealogy website at:
www.RaperAncestors.com

This thread: