READ-L Archives

Archiver > READ > 2000-10 > 0972667578

From: "Louise Vore" <>
Subject: [READ-L] Preston - Hiram Reed -TN , VA, KY
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:26:18 -0700

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for any information on Preston and Hiram Reed and family,
here is what I have so far, any additions or corrections will be greatly
appreciated.
The following has been sent to me by many people, it is not all my research
.

Hiram Reed is in 1830 Hawkins Co., TN. census, I have seen this census

A Preston Read is in the 1850 Hawkins County Census,but this one is to young
to be the father.

In the book Pioneer Recollection by E.J. and Hetty Sutherland . A section by
George Stanley , 16 Oct. 1929, Clintwood, Va. says Hiram Read's father was
Preston Reed , who settle on Meadow Branch.

1829 Montgomery Co. VA Deed
Book K page 565. It is an indenture dated 5 December 1829 between the
legatees of
Humphrey Reed and Humphrey E. Reed for 36 acres on the Gap Fork a
branch of Little River. (I can't locate the Gap Fork on any of my maps.) The
test. to this indenture were Ja. T. Dickerson, George A. Reed and George
Reed.
The legatees were: Michael Reed, John Mikesell, Humphrey Reed, Richard
Delaney,
Archibald Thompson, Wm. Scaggs, Andrew E. Reed, Peter E. Reed , Grifith
Reed,
Emery Alltizer, Hiram Reed and William Reed.

Ann Reed married a John Mikesell on 30 Aug. 1813 in Montgomery Co. VA .
Humphrey's dau. Ann was born 3 Dec 1788 .
Maram Reed married William Scaggs 4 Feb 1825, Peter Reed, surety. Then we
have
Richard Dulaney (son of William Dulaney) married to Maram Reed 29 Oct. 1829,
Griffith Reed,
surety.
Ja. Dickerson listed as a test. is he the same James
Dickerson who married Permelia Reed, dau. of Andrew Reed on Sept. 7,1825
with Griffith Dickerson, surety.

The 1831 Floyd County, Virginia Reed, Hiram

1850 Pike County ,Ky. Census

517 Reed Hiram 45 M Bk-smith VA
Lucy 39 F
George 19 M Labor
Johnithan 18 M
Hannah 16 F
Susannah 13 F KY
Humphery 11 M
Amos 9 M
Miram 7 F
Lydia 5 F
Willis 3 M
Mahala 1 F

416 Reed, Humphrey 71 M Farm VA
Nancy 60 F VA
Mahala 21 F VA
Simon P. 17 M Labor VA

1860 ??????????????????

In 1870 Hiram and Lucy Reed were in Scott County:
Hiram Reed (age 63, b. VA)

Lucy (age 57, b VA) , Susan (age 33, b. KY), Lidda (age 25, b. KY)

Mahala (age 21, b. KY) Hiram (age 18, b. KY)

Lucy (age 15, b. VA) Luemma (age 12, b. VA)

Andrew(age8, b. VA).

A few houses away was George Reed (age 39, b. VA)
Delila (age 26, b. VA)
Madison (age 10, b. VA)
George W. (age 6, b. VA)
Rebecca (age 2, b. VA). May or may not be relatives.

Hiram and Lucy also had a son Humphrey wno married Phillis Sapp on August
29,1867. He was 27 years old, born in Pike Co., KY. Phillis was the daughter
of Thomas and Martha E. Sapp. The minister was Isaac Kern.

SC Marriage Records, Hiram Reed (age 77, widowed) married Nancy Stone (age
47, widowed) in Scott County on August 14, 1883. So, I assume he would have
been in Scott County in 1880. I believe that Nancy's name was really Slone,
the daughter of William Sloan and Nancy J. Dykes. I could not find any
record of Hiram in the SC Cemetery Records.

Archibald Thompson married Rachael Reed in Montgomery County,
Virginia on March 16, 1825 and they then moved to Hawkins county, Tennessee.

Then I found a book titled Virginians in Tennessee in 1850 by Mike K.
Williams and they were named as being in Washington county.

1850 Census of Tennessee and they were named in there with their children,
Archibald was 45 and Rachael 42, Louza 24, Andrew 22, Bluford 20, Pamelia
18, William M. 16, Asa 14, Josh 11, Harrison 9, and Christan 7,
.Martha J. 3, Rachal E. 2.

Also found a Cemetary list from the Bulls Gap, Tennesse, area with
Archibald listed as Born: 28 Feb. 1805 and Died: Dec 1, 1876 and Rachel Reed
Born: Aug 10, 1807 and Died May 14, 1884 and there son Christian
Born: June 19, 1842 and Died April 17, 1876

I find Humphrey Reed (27) md. Phillis Sapp (20) on 29 AUG 1867 in
Scott Co,VA (book 2 p.26 Line 15). He was born in Pike Co,KY and she was
born in Surry Co,NC. He was slo Hiram and Lucy Reed. She was dlo Thomas and
Martha E Sapp. He was farmer. Isaac Kern md. them.

In marriage book 4 p.21 line 34 Hiram Reed (23) md. Bertha
Courtner(22-divorced b. Hawkins Co, TN) on 6 MAY 1916. He was slo of
Birdine and Manda Reed. She was dlo William and Sallie Courtner. He was
farmer. J W Vermillion md. them.

RUDE should read REED

Regarding the Reed marriage to Sarah A Elam, she md.an Amos RUDE(30) and she
was 20, md. on 21 DEC 1866. He was born in Yancey Co,NC and she in Scott.
He was son of Hiram and??? Rude. She was dlo Wesley and M Elam. He was
farmer. James Stallard md. them.(VoI 2 p.24 Line 7[first 7 on the page])

By 1894 Humphrey Reed must be dead. Because when their daughter married she
only listed Phillis Reed as parent.

I am just trying to put the puzzle together.

Thank you,

Louise Vanover Vore

This thread: