REDDICK-L Archives

Archiver > REDDICK > 2005-05 > 1116517100

From: "Dale E. Reddick" <>
Subject: Re: Reddick connection to Rutland?? Reddochs also metioned.
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:39:51 -0400

Hi Loretta,

I'm CCing my response to you to the , the
, and the e-mail lists. There's a
better chance of getting some answers to your questions if a larger set
of knowledgable folks have a chance to see them.

Well, I'm not an expert on the Virginia & North Carolina Reddicks and
Riddicks. I've simply learned to recognize some of the individuals and
lines due to given names shared with my Georgia Reddicks & Readdicks and
which counties had Reddick in them prior to and just after the
Revolutionary War. However, none of the VA. & N.C. Reddicks and the
single Riddick so far tested have had any DNA that matched up with the
Georgia r320s. All in all, so far we have four separate lines of
Reddicks in the U.S.

I believe that I may have previously seen the reference to Reddick
Rutland of Burke and / or Bibb County, Georgia. My gg-grandfather
Nicholas Reddick was living in Burke County in 1840. I have no idea
whether there was any sort of connection between that individual named
Reddick Rutland and the Reddicks of Burke and Screven Counties.

The Reddochs in Covington & Jones Counties, MS. belong to the line of
William and Mary Rose Reddoch, I believe. I'm sure that James Allen
Reddoch can either confirm or correct me in this. The DNA testing
conducted on two distantly related Reddoch cousins has shown that they
too form a separate line from the other r320 surnames. William and Mary
Rose Reddoch left North Carolina circa the Revolutionary War and first
appear to have settled in Camden County, GA. They then moved on to
Richmond County circa 1786. Richmond Co. is adjacent to the above
mentioned Burke County. The Reddick Rutland mentioned in that 1840 will
with a reference to Burke County could have just as easily been named
for a Reddoch friend or neighbor.

Still, if the earliest Reddick Rutland was from Bertie County, N.C.,
then that's between the several Reddicks of Martin County and those up
in Perquimans and adjacent counties (Chowan, Gates, Hertford,
Pasquotank). There were also some Reddicks in Bertie, if my memory
serves me well. It would be reasonable to think that the later Reddick
Rutland(s) of those 1833 and 1840 wills was connected to the earlier
fellow of the 1770s in Bertie Co. and that any actual Reddick connection
is going to be with those from that area around Albemarle Sound. Still,
though - that mention of Burke County, GA. does make one wonder about
some sort of link to either the Reddicks or Reddochs of the late 1700s &
early 1800s in Georgia.

This never is easy, is it?

Dale

This thread: