RESEARCH-HOWTO-L Archives

Archiver > RESEARCH-HOWTO > 2001-07 > 0996070395

From: <>
Subject: Re: Death certificate for soldier killed in action
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:13:15 -0500

>Have you received a reply to your question about death certificates
>for soldiers killed in action? I have not seen any posted to the list. I
>would also like to know about this subject, as it might help solve a family
>mystery.
> Lea

Lea,
There were a couple of suggestions:
1. Records from VA obtained from a local office after supplying soldier's
name, branch of service and Social Security number. The person making this
suggestion had received amazing info, including birth and marriage
certificates and info on parents, spouse, children, and siblings.
2. Another suggestion was that the home county of the soldier would have a
copy of the death certificate.

I have not pursued the VA route because I do not have a SS# or service
number for the soldier. After almost a year after the request was made, the
National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis informed me that they could
find no record of this man's service. I do not know if his was one of the
records lost in the fire in 1973. Since I do not live close to the home
county, I have not been able to verify yet whether they have a copy of the
death certificate. Hope this helps you in your search.
Shirley

This thread: