RHODESIAN-PIONEERS-L Archives

Archiver > RHODESIAN-PIONEERS > 2006-02 > 1140118959

From: "carruthers - home" <>
Subject: [TPS] Adam Renders +
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:42:39 +0200

Hi Dave,

Would that be a Descendant of Render or Render's ?
Would your wife be able to authenticate the following notes below I have ,
please be critical................ If you are able to add anything that
would be great.
Thanks
Ian Carruthers

> Hi, My wife is a direct descendant of Adam Renders Born 1822 in
> Germany then went to SA via USA any other information would be
> appreciated. Thanks Dave GILL

Notes on Render +:

"I (Jack CARRUTHERS) was requested to go back to Pietersburg and hurry on
supplies of any order by wagon taking with me dispatches, only to loose five
of the team we started out with by Horse sickness, ZEEDERBURG had also
arranged a post contract for me. This I carried out and opened the road to
traffic. Many loaded wagons set out along my route with supplies and trading
goods before the rains set in. The route was closed for the season due to
the flooded Limpopo. August I again took mail through to Pietersburg for the
Administrator. The following month owing to sickness and the flooded river,
I could not cross into Mashonaland."

Horse sickness fever and tetse fly was rife coupled with the threat of wild
animals and food shortages which were of great concern to the many not
accustomed to this untamed wilderness. November found Jack down with a bad
dose of fever when he recovered he found myself being nursed by Dr Schultz,
who advised him to go to a farm and recuperate.

"I spent my Christmas and New Year with my hunter friends. By February I was
myself again, but there was no traffic going north on account of the flooded
rivers."

Meanwhile the pioneers had already reached Salisbury and raised the Union
Jack on the 12th of September 1890.
End of March 1891 Jack CARRUTHERS got word from Will and Harry POSSELT that
they were coming back from Middleburg with loads for Tuli he arranged to
accompany them. He had met Harry at the Salt Pan the previous year. Will had
been up North as far as Zimbabwe from Middleburg in the winter of '88 with
his brother Harry looking for the ruins. Due to the hostility of the natives
they never got to the ruins and tried again in '89 when Will found the huge
soap stone birds. To the disgust of the restless locals, he selected the
best of the four and pacified the natives with blankets in an attempt to
subdue them. Will had to cut the pedestal off due to the immense weight.
Apparently Kruger examined the stone prior to Rhodes, however, it ended up
with Rhodes and kept at Groote Schuur.

The Zimbabwe Ruins were presumed to be built before 1500 AD. The early
European visitors to the ruins (after the Portuguese in 1560) were Arab
slave traders, followed by the missionaries, ivory hunters and traders. The
hunter Adam RENDER born in Germany, arrived in Natal in the 1840's and
settled in the Zoutpansberg district. They often ventured up north to trade
with the natives. RENDER's son said that the ruins were unexpectedly come
upone in 1867 by his father. Mrs RENDER visited the ruins and was probably
the first white woman to see them but she refused to settle there, so far
from civilisation. RENDER returned in 1869 and settled without his family,
where Morgenster mission stands today, he lived there with the chief's
daughter, with whom he fathered a child. It would appear RENDER was there
when Carl Mauch arrived between August and September 1871 and apparently
showed Mauch the ruins under the cover of darkness, due to the
unfriendliness of the natives at the time.
The Trader and Hunter George "Elephant PHILIPS" an Englishman was in
Matabeleland in the 1860's, in '67 he travelled from Matopo to find Great
Zimbabwe.
Rev A. MERENSKY in '62 nearly made it to the ruins from the Transvaal but
had to turn back due to illness with his natives. Mauch, it is presumed
received the Information from Merensky, on the where about's of Zimbabwe.
RENDER's fate is somewhat of a mystery he may have died near Zimbabwe, his
son returned after the column's arrival To look for his father, he learned
that his father was shot by a poison arrow in the shoulder and prior to
this may have buried treasure not far from the ruins.

Ellenton Fry had the privilege of taking the first photographic images of
the ruins soon after the column's arrival. Tail's of the conical tower being
the mark, under which ancient treasures were buried, several investigated
this possiability to no avail. The Chartered company appointed a caretaker
to the ruins in 1890. The ancient ruins company with Willi Posselt and
others may be Jack (Oatlands) Etc Etc......

Jack caught up the Posselts trekking north to Tuli with two loads of flour,
which they sold at @2 a bag. They arrived at the Drift on 12th April 1891
when the river was low enough to cross over. The Posselts took on loads for
Salisbury. Jack paying Stuart MEIKLE on his arrival @12 a bag for flour, 7/6
a pound. for sugar, and 15/- for milk per tin. On their arrival at Fort
Tuli, Jack met up with Dr. JAMESON and mentioned that there were many Dutch
trekers that had followed his trail, waiting at the Limpopo, and who wished
to come into the country.

"I discussed my connection with them, explaining that they were the remnants
of the Louis ARDENDORF trek party. Dr JAMESON with Sir John WILLOUGHBY rode
down to investigate. After a short discussion with the principal leaders,
the Doctor told them that they were welcome to come in and that they could
take up a farm if they were sufficiently supplied and willing to assist with
the transport of goods to Salisbury, his one condition being that they must
abide by the Law set down by the Charter Company"

The former ARDENDORF concession made with Chief CHIBI now holding no merit,
this perhaps was the reason for their main body falling apart before their
arrival at Tuli. Many Dutch families went on to settle near Enkeldoorn,
others to ride transport.

"Very few realise the service these kindly peaceable folk rendered, the
hardships they experienced and the benefits we derived from their presence.
It was impossible for any poor Dutch folk to venture on the 120 miles of
featureless country lying between Zoutpansburg and the Limpopo or trek into
Mashonaland without support."

On Later treks the children at times cupping their hands under the
Zeederberg's draft animal, feed sacks to catch the falling grain, which
hardly satisfied their pangs of hunger. It is doubtful what may have
transpired without their transport help from Tuli to Salisbury 400 miles. A
great deal could be written down as to the hardship and suffering these
people experienced with the occupation of Rhodesia. Many have proved worthy
citizens.

This thread: