RICE-SOUTHERN-L Archives

Archiver > RICE-SOUTHERN > 2006-03 > 1142484711

From: Becky Bailey <>
Subject: Re: [Rice-Southern-L] Elvis Presley
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:51:51 -0800 (PST)

Will,
I find this very interesting. I too am related to Daniel Boone. But by marriage only. As far as I can tell. Daniel Boone has a brother Squire Boone Jr. If I remember right he married a woman by the last name of VanCleave. My line of VanCleaves married Rykers/Rikers which in turn married into my HELMS line.
Now this is where it gets really interesting. My 5x Great Grandfather John Helms married an Elizabeth Rice. She was born circa 1765 in Baltimore, Maryland.
I have had several theories as to who her family is. But it has been hard to pin down for sure because she has always been listed as being an orphan. Someone gave me some info once that said her mothers maiden name may have been Dent or Denton. And that Elizabeths father had died and then her mother remarried to a Rigg or Riggs. Having 2 more children. I e-mailed the person that had this info but they never got back to me. Anyways here are some of the
other surnames that connect to my Helms line. They are Cox, Whelchel (which I believe he too fought at the Battle of Kings Mountain)and it is mentioned in a book written by a Whelchel that my 5x Great Grandfather served with Davis Whelchel. And I shouldn't forget to mention Carson and Barrett. It is said that my Carsons are related to Kit Carson. Some of the families seem to intermarry so much it made it hard to keep up with them. LOL..
Becky(Helms)Bailey
PS By the way I have been looking to see if my Helms were connected in some way to the NC Helms line. But it seems that Helms were all up and down the East Coast. But that being said there is an Ira Helms that trys to work on all Helms lines. And he has the ones that connect to the Presslar/Pressley lines.

Wolfman <> wrote: Yet another indirect connection to another line of MY maternal grandfather's
mother's family (William Logan Rice, son of William A. Rice and Leitha
Catherine JUDD) is in the info here:

William Greer s/of -----note info on sister RACHELLE GREER below.....
Benjamin Greer &
Nancy Wilcoxson d/of
John Wilcoxson &
Sarah Boone d/of
Squire Boone and Sarah Morgan, who were also the parents of the pioneer,
DANIEL BOONE!!!

Rachelle Greer, a daughter of Benjamin Greer and Nancy Wilcoxon, (also
spelled "Wilcockson") married Robert JUDD, son of Rowland Judd, Esquire, of
Reddies River, Wilkes County, NC.

Robert Judd settled in Green County, KY with his brother, Rowland Judd, Jr.
Their brother, John Judd, settled in Adair County, KY, near Columbia. John
Judd was my 4th great-grandfather.

John Judd was 13 years old in October 1780, and was the one who coined the
phrase "hold the horses" at the Battle of King's Mountain, SC. He wanted to
stay behind and "hold the horses" during the battle. He and his brother
Rowland are listed in "King's Mountain Men".

It was John Judd's great-granddaughter, Leitha Catherine Judd (1877-1941) of
Putnam County, TN who married my great-grandfather, William A. Rice, in
Putnam County about 1893.

As for PRESLEY

My Presley lineage is as follows:

Valentine Presslar/Presley born c.1709
....Thomas Presley - died Anson County, NC
.......M. Richard Presley + Mary Helms - Mecklenburg Co. NC.
...........Isabelle Presley (born c.1792 - d. Alabama) + John Henry Hargett
Jr. (c.1790 - d. after 1870 Belgreen, Franklin Co., AL).
................Holden Harget - born 1805 - died 1880 Putnam Co, TN + Ann
(possibly Helms died March 1880 Putnam Co. TN).
.....................Isabelle Hargett (1827 - 1899) + Charles Smith, Sr.
(1801 - 1877)
.........................Charles Smith Jr. (1852 - 1923) + Alice C. Fisher
(1854 - c.1893). Dekalb Co. TN
..........................Oma Green Smith (1880 - 1933) + James Lawson
Steele (1879 - 1919) Putnam Co. TN
..............................Mary Dell Steele (1906 - 1987) + William Logan
Rice (1904 - 1981) Putnam Co. TN. My maternal Grandparents....

ELVIS is descended from Valentine Presslar's son, Andrew Presley Sr. and
goes through Andrew Jr. > Dunnan Presley Sr. >Dunnan Presley Jr. >a daughter
who never married I forget her name >Vernon Presley + Gladys Love >Elvis
Aaron Presley (1933 - 1977).

Will

Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:59 PM
Subject: [Rice-Southern-L] Elvis Presley