RIDER-L Archives

Archiver > RIDER > 1998-11 > 0911198594

From: John Phillips <>
Subject: RYDER FAMILY
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:43:14 +0100

Hello Ryders/Riders everywhere,

I hope both names are included in this list because I have found that
the two spellings are interchangeable, even on the same document!

I am researching Ryders in Liverpool. I start with JAMES RYDER born
1750/1, although I do not know precisely where. He was a mariner in
Liverpool, master of the "Dublin" 1778-1791, and the "Ceres" 1792-5, and
transported cheese from Liverpool to London for the Cheese Company. He
married Maria Urmson, daughter of John Urmson, Salt Proprietor of
Frodsham Cheshire in 1793, and died in Liverpool in July 1827. James and
Maria had 7 children, all baptised at Frodsham, John, Mary, Sarah,
James, (died infant), Stephen, James (who was my GG Grandfather) and
Thomas Urmson. Thomas Urmson Ryder went to Australia in 1827, married
and had a family, three of whom went on to Fiji, where at least one
descendant still lives. James set up the Merchants business which went
under various names in Liverpool, Pennington & Ryder, Ryder & Tetley, J
O Ryder & Sons etc., until it went bust in 1878. Neither Mary or Sarah
married but stayed in Liverpool until their deaths, and I have no idea
what happened to John or Stephen.

If anyone out there is searching the same lines, or the related URMSON,
LYON, WHITLEY, OLDHAM or FELL families I have information a-plenty to
share.

On a totally unrelated branch, I am also looking for an EDWARD RIDER who
says on his discharge from the Army in April 1973 that he was born in
Portsea, Hants in 1834, although searches of the registers don't seem to
find him. There was an Edward Rider baptised at Ashburton, Devon in
February 1834, but enquiries to the Devon list produced silence. He
married Marion Wheeler, and spent his last days after leaving the Army
in Liverpool where he died in 1878. If this one rings bells please get
in touch.

I look forward to this being a very successful list and wish all fellow
Ryders/Riders the best of luck and a successful search!

Regards,
John

This thread: