RIGENWEB-L Archives

Archiver > RIGENWEB > 2007-08 > 1188279834

From: bonnie <>
Subject: Re: [RIGENWEB] WADE-HAWKINS (NOT Hopkins!)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:43:54 -0700

Update:

My daughter was able to tweek the scan and get a good, legible image
of the Nathaniel Wade - Ruth Hawkins [not Hopkins] 1731 marriage as
it was originally recorded in Scituate Vol I (Old Book) p 14.

I'll be happy to send a copy of the scan by email to anyone who
requests it. The full resolution copy is 2.5 MB. However, I will send
it via iPhoto and Mail which should reduce the size automatically.
If the resultant image is not clear enough when you receive it,
please request a higher res image. Or, you can, of course, ask for
the high res image at the outset.

....Do I have any new WADE - HAWKINS cousins as a result of this? :-)

I have a personal copy of the Doris P. Schultz 1989 book "Jonathan
Wade of Ipswich, Massachusetts." It is Doris Schultz who should have
the credit of proving (at least in this discussion) that Nathaniel
Wade married Ruth HAWKINS.

Here is the info Doris P. Schultz has (minus the footnotes, sources)
on this couple:

[p 20] :
"Nathaniel4 WADE, born 27 Jan 1708/9 at Charlestown, Massachusetts,
died 13 May 1754; Freeman, 2 May 1738, Scituate, RI; married, 26 Jun
1731, Ruth HAWKINS, sister of Deborah Hawkins, who married his
brother, Nathan. Ruth (Hawkins)Wade married (2nd), 9 Feb 1758,
Zebedee HOPKINS, the older brother of her sister-in-law's husband,
Elisha Hopkins; she died 7 Dec 1879."

Children of Nathaniel and Ruth (Hawkins) Wade were:

i. Simon WADE b 11 Dec 1731
ii. Dudley WADE b 1 Dec 1734; married Katharianey (-?-). Children:
Nathaniel 6 WADE b 4 Aug 1758 and Alverson WADE b 28 Oct 1761.
iii. Mary WADE b 10 Dec 1736, died ca 1779; married (1st) Nehemiah
THORNTON who died 28 Dec 1762, leaving a daughter, Achsaph THORNTON,
who married, in 1782, William BROWN, at which time her step-father,
Jeremiah STEERE, gave her the dowry left for her by her father.
Nehemiah Thornton was probably the son of Ebenezer and Ruth (-?-)
Thornton who married 8 Oct 1735. Mary WADE married (2nd) ca 1763/4,
as his third wife, Jeremiah STEERE, born 22 Feb 1722, son of Samuel
and Hannah (FIELD) STEERE; will probated 30 Aug 1803 at Chepachet,
RI. (for children of this marriage see the STEERE family books).
iv. Ruth WADE b 28 Aug 1740
v. Deborah WADE b 23 May 1744; died bef 1754.
vi. John WADE, b 5 Jan 1746; named executor of his mother's will;
died 30 Jun 1804, at Foster, RI, named brother Dudley, executor of
his will, of which Simon Wade, Jr. was a witness.
[end of Wade-Hawkins entry from Doris Schultz's Wade book]

I descend from the 3rd child of this marriage, Mary WADE through her
second marriage to Jeremiah STEERE, and would be happy to correspond
with anyone re this and related lines.

Bonnie
Oakland, California

This thread: