RIGGS-L Archives

Archiver > RIGGS > 1998-09 > 0905360508

From: Nancy Hessel <>
Subject: [RIGGS-L] Irish Riggs
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 12:01:48 -0500

My RIGGS family came from Ireland in the year of 1847-On Dec 21, They
landed in New Orleans spent the rest of the winter with family or
friends [-wish I knew who!]Went up the Mississippi to Evansville,Indiana
Finally settled in McCutchanville, Ind. They were farmers.The father of
the imm. was Thomas ,born abt. 1773 in or near Castlepollard or
Collinstown in Co. Westmeath, Ireland. . Maybe wife named
Catherine.There son WILLIAM was born1797 in the area of Castlepollard.
William and wife Margaret MOSSMAN Riggs came with the following
family:in 1847. THOMASb.1835.MARGARETt b. 1836. ROBERTt b. 1838. JOHN b.
1842.JAMES. RICHARD b. 1844. MARY b. 1847 and who died on ship board.All
were born in Ireland.The Riggs family all belonged to the Ch. of Ireland
[Pro]. I was always told they were Scots-Irish.They may have come into
Ireland with Cromwell as I find them in Co. Cork in the mid 1600. Them I
can trace them up to Dublin then to Mullingar, finally to the
Castlerpollard area and Collinstown. They seemed to follow Lord Pakenham
and his family who received a land grant from Cromwell. They leaced land
from Pakenham of Tully Nally Castle for several hundred years.I suspect
they were adventures in Cromwell's army under the officer leadership of
Lord Pakenham.If any sounds like your family please let me hear from
you. Even if your family came from Ireland, I'd like to here. Nancy
Riggs Hessel

This thread: