ROARK-L Archives

Archiver > ROARK > 1997-02 > 0856978760

From: Rob Roark - San Antonio Sort Supervisor X27024 <>
Subject: Resend: Muhlenberg Desc. of William Roark
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:39:20 -0600 (CST)

I Don't know if this ever got posted to the Group. Ginger Hayes had
transcribed part of a lawsuit filed in Hopkins Co., KY after William Roark
(B. 1760 Ire married to Mary Everly) death.
I came accross a listing of Muhlenberg Co. Marriages this last week at
the library. There were some clarifications on a couple of early 1800's
marriages that I was unsure of:

A listing for "Jaddath Roark" is probably Judith Roark, married to a
matthew Langely in 1808. I can find no other reference in any database
for Judith.
There is lso a listing for an Alice Roark marrying John Reynolds on Dec
17, 1805. The database that Jeff Murphy maintains on-line lists this date
as 1835. The Birth and death dates for John Reynolds would match, so she
would probably be a Grandaughter of William rather than a Daughter.

Neither one of these names are mentioned in the Lawsuit below. The
census Indicies that I have only list William, John, Martin, and William (2)
up until the 1840's in the county. Does anyone have any ideas for a
connection? Since William came to the county between 1800-1810 before
going with Michael to Illinois, they could possibly be daughters....

Also, there is a listing in the 1850 Muhlenberg Co. Census for a John
Roark, Age 66, married to Nancy, age 60. Both are listed as being born in
S.C. There is also a Mary Driver, age 78, living with them. (I am
assuming the mother of Nancy). He has a dughter Mary 31, with a birth
place of Tenn. There is also another daughter living next door, Elizabeth,
age 34, born in Tenn. She is married to James Jarvis.
John did not show up until after 1840, and his daughters were born in
Tenn., so I am pretty certain he was not one of the original Muhlenberg Co.
Roark's. But, there must be some family connections somewhere to the N.C.
or eastern Clan. It would help if I knew the rest of his progeny so that I
could cross them off my marriage lists for the county.

Rob Roark