ROBERTSON-L Archives

Archiver > ROBERTSON > 2009-01 > 1232758140

Subject: Re: [RBRTSN] William S. ROBERTSON & Susannah LASSITER
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:49:00 EST

Although I try to stay out of these discussions I offer the following for
all Robertsons. Common Names were William, Nathaniel, Drury, Thomas, James, and
so on. Realize that there is little data in the 1600's.

In my research I have come to the conclusion that the Robertsons in North
Carolina and South Carolina came from Virginia. There was a long succession of
Nathaniel Robertsons early on. The first Nathaniel Robertson son of William
appears in York County and Williamsburg (James city County) either in the
1600's or early 1700's. Their descendants moved west in Virginia then south
then to North Carolina and then to South Carolina. Some researchers believe they
followed the rivers and maybe free land or even Gold discoveries from
Virginia to South Carolina.Then they moved West.

There were additional immigrations of Robertsons, Robinsons, Robersons etc
after 1700 to Virginia and the Carolinas.

I recommend a book by Betty Robertson Kaufman and a Mrs Price and others for
those who want to research the early Robertsons in the Colonies. The DAR
has data on the early Robertsons. There is at least one or two more efforts
that show the immigration of Robertsons starting in the 1600s to Virginia. I
have been attempting to verify this research for over 35 years. I live in
Yorktown Virginia. Fascinating!! By the way there is a great book by a Noble.
Sorry I can not find the title.

In a message dated 1/23/2009 6:59:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,