ROBINSON-L Archives

Archiver > ROBINSON > 2007-06 > 1182359566


From:
Subject: [ROBINSON] James Robinson abt 1667
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 13:12:46 EDT


This is kind of long, Should print it out

Boyd Robinson



JAMES ROBINSON

James Robinson was born abt 1667 probably in England. He was son of George &
Ann Robinson. He md Catherine Howell ca 1694 probably in Philadelphia Pa.
Catherine Howell was daughter of Thomas & Katherine Howell who was born ca 1668
probably in Tamworth, Warwick, England. Her parents lived in Cooper's Creek,
Waterford Twp., Gloucester, N.J. where her father died in Oct 1687. The
Howells came to N.J. in about 1682 on the ship "Bristol Factor". (Howell family
information from Genealogical & Biographical Memorials of the Reading, Howell,
etc families by Josiah G. Leach, pp 137-143) (SEE THOMAS HOWELL FAMILY
HISTORY)
The first record of James & Catherine Robinson was on 26 May 1694 when
Daniel, Mordecai & Catherine Howell, children of Thomas Howell, deceased, sell 100
acres of land which Thomas had devised to Catherine, his youngest daughter.
The deed was not recorded until 1772 (Trenton NJ Deed Book A, pg 391)
In 1695 Catherine's mother died at Philadelphia, Pa. (WB A pg 324 Phil
proved 4 Oct 1695) James Robinson was appointed Executor. Katherine Howell
bequeathed to her grand daughter Katherine Shout 5 pounds and the money was to be
kept by James Robinson for one year then to be put to use for her and paid to
her when she came of age. It is possible that Katherine Shout was a child of
another daughter of Thomas & Katherine Howell or a daughter of Catherine
Howell by a previous marriage.
It appears that James & Catherine lived in Philadelphia after they were
married as he was deeded a lot there on 20 Jul 1695 by his mother-in-law,
Katherine Howell. He sold this lot on 11 Sep 1699 and the deed describes him as
James Robinson late of Philadelphia and now a resident of Gloucester, N.J. (Phil.
Co., PA, Exemplication Bk 7, Pg 468 & Robinson Genealogy by Milnor
Ljingstedt))
After living in Gloucester Co., N.J., they moved to New Castle County,
Delaware and was living there on 23 Feb. 1707 when he was a witness to a will made
by Bryan MacDonnell along with Richard Empson & George Reed (Colonial Dames
of Delaware, A Calendar of Delaware Wills, 1682-1800, pg 13 Genealogical Pub.
Co., Baltimore, MD, 1969, New Castle Co. WB B, pg 153)
On 9 Aug 1708 he was Executor of the estate of Richard Mankin along with
George Mankin. (Calendar of Delaware Wills 1682-1800, Genealogical Publishing
Company 1969 & New Castle Co. pg 14 WB B pg 195).
He is Executor for the estate of William Ball along with William's wife
Esther Ball 30 Jan 1709. Mary McDonnell is listed as a daughter of William Ball
and believe her to be a wife of William McDonald, brother of Bryan McDonald,
Jr. ( Calendar of Delaware Wills, pg 15 and WB B pg 195)
In 1710 James Robinson was elected to be a Church Warden of the Immanuel
Church of New Castle upon Delaware along with Church Warden Richard Halliwell of
the town of New Castle. James was "of the country." On the west wall of the
tower of Immanuel Church, there is a marble tablet bearing the inscription
"Founded 1689 Enlarged 1820." The Immanuel Church was a part of the church
"Society for Propagating the Gospel in Foreign parts." The London Society for
Propagating the Gospel was organized in 1701 and soon after the organization,
the Society began to send over missionaries and give assistance to clergymen
already in the field. In response to the people of New Castle's desire from
this source, Rev. George Ross was sent from England Shortly after the arrival of
Rev. Ross, the building of the Immanuel Church began about 1705 and was
completed in 1706. The Church book for Immanuel Church began 26 Jul 1710 under
the direction of Rev. Robert Saint Clare. It was proposed by Rev. St. Clare
that a vestry be chosen with Church Wardens and the members of the church met
for that purpose. One Church Warden was elected by the minister, and the other
by the members who were Richard Halliwell of New Castle and James Robinson of
the country. Other vestrymen were chosen: Hoa Charles Gookin, Esp., Lt. Gov.
of Penn, Samuel Lowman, Joseph Wood, William Tonge, Richard Clarke, Thomas
Ogle, John Cann. (pp 41,78, 19 Thomas Holcomb, Sketch of Early Ecclesiastical
Affairs of New Castle & History of Immanuel Church, Wilmington, Delaware,
Delaware Printing Co., 1890) A large number of the congregation were from the
country, many "coming twelve miles," from the locality where St. James' Church
now stands, near Stanton. Among the first vestrymen was James Robinson, who
was afterwards a liberal benefactor of St. James' Church. There was a large
settlement of the Church of England people in that neighbor who attended church
at New Castle and the only means of travel was either by horseback or by
foot. Until 1721 the name of the Church was spelled Immanuel and changed to
Immanuel.
He was appointed guardian on 22 Mar 1712 along with Richard Empson for the
children of George Reed (pg

18 Colonial Dames of Delaware, A Calendar of Delaware Wills, 1682-1800,
Genealogical Pub. Co., Baltimore, k11D, 1969 & WB B, pg 182)
On 29 June 1714 he purchased 110 acres of land from Ericus Bjork & Barbara
James Johnson Vandenburgh located near Rum Creek now called Mill Creek. In the
recital it was stated that Ericus Bjork was bequeathed the land from Aaron
Johnson Vandenburg & his wife Barbara James Johnson Vandenburg. James Robinson
donated 10 Acres of the land to the London Protestant Society For
Propagating The Gospel In Foreign Lands. He made this gift in consideration "of the
love and good will which I have and do bear unto the Church of England and
members of the said Church, of which Church I profess myself a member." The land
was to be for the Church and School house so the youth may be educated
according to the rules and principles of the said Church. The name of the church was
St. James church at White Clay Creek, (now Mill Creek Hundred which was a
part of the New Castle parish For some years the people in the neighborhood
worshiped at New Castle but they built a frame chapel in 1716 & 1717, and after
that services were regularly held there. (pg 95 Thomas Holcomb, Sketch of the
Early Ecclesiastical Affairs of New Castle & History of Immanuel Church,
Wilmington, DE, Delaware Printing Co., 1890) The deed was recorded 5 Apr 1727.
(DB H1 pg 100 FHL Film 6559) At the time, James was an Immanuel vestryman. (pg
94 The Episcopal Church in Delaware by Charles A. Silliman FHL Bk 975.1 K2s)
His daughter, Priscilla was baptized in the Immanuel Church on May 8, 1715 &
two of his daughters were married in the Immanuel Church. Catherine on Dec
8, 1715 to Bryan McDonald & Ann on 18 Feb 1716 to Stephen Hollingsworth. In
the Immanuel Church records it stated that James Robinson was of White Clay
Creek when Priscilla was baptized. St. James, an English Church at Stanton, in
White Clay Creek Hundred, about 7 miles from Wilmington, was built in the
winter & spring of 1716-17. Several of the Swedish pastors conducted services
there, from time to time, when the English congregation had no minister of its
own- (The Churches of Delaware pg 140 by Frank R. Zebley). The first service
for the St. James Church was held there by the Reverend George Ross of the
Society for the Propagation of the Gospel July 4, 1717. The Church at Stanton
either burned down or was torn down about 1820 and rebuilt out of stone during
the next few years. (pg 95 The Episcopal Church in Delaware by Charles A
Silliman) An account of the building of St. James's Church at White Clay was
written by Geo. Ross, Minister on 20 Sep 1717. He stated the church was raised 4
Dec 1716 and lies 10 or 11 miles from the Town of Newcastle; and serves at
present, for a Chapel of Ease to Immanuel Church there. It was made of wood in
length 32 foot and breadth 22 and stands upon a rising Ground, not far from
White Clay Creek. It was opened 4 Jul 1717. The church was built at the
expense of private persons. "But the man to whom its rise, and all the perfection
it has yet arrived to, must in a particular manner be ascribed, is Mr. James
Robinson, a worthy Zealous member of the Church, and a liver at Whiteclay
Creek The special benefactor of St. James's Chapel, besides the pains he has been
at, about this Building and the money he has disbursed upon it, has endowed
it with somewhat above ten acres of Glebeland forever." (pg 112 Historical
Collections relating to the American Colonial Church by William Stevens Perry,
D.D.) On page 64-67 George Ross wrote a letter to the Secretary of the
Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts dated 7 Nov 1732. In it
he states "As to the people of Whiteclay Creek They have been without a head
& a heart since the death of one James Robinson, a true & zealous son of the
church "
In the Life of George Read by Harmon P. Read, he stated that George Ross was
born 1679 & died 1754. He Immigrated in 1703 from Scotland to Newcastle Del
as a missionary for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign
Parts. He married twice and among his children were George Ross (1730-1779) a
signer of the Declaration of Independence.
On 7 Aug 1714 he and his brothers & sisters sold 158 acres of land to George
Mankin, heir of Richard Mankin. The land was located on the east side of
Christiana Creek called Mill Creek. The Robinson names mentioned in the deed
were: George, James, John, Joseph, Abraham Hollingsworth & his wife Ann
Hollingsworth. In the recital it stated the land was originally owned by Lucas
Stedham & Robert Robertson. The land was sold to Justa & Altie Andries (Anderson)
by Robert Scott, John Marshall, John Casine & John Sayer. Justa sold the land
to Arnoldous Delagrange. Arnoldous Delagrange divided the land into 3 parcels
and afterwards sold 200 acres to Lucas Stedham, 200 acres to Robert
Robertson (Robinson) and 158 acres to George Robinson, Richard Mankin, & John
'tyukell (Thirkeld). John'Iurkell (Thirkeld) returned to Ireland so his share fell
to George Robinson. (DB A pg 180 dtd 1687) Said land now in hands of George
Mankin which is separate from the main tract of land It also stated in the deed
that the Robinsons mentioned were heirs of George Robinson decd. (pg 177 DB
G 1 New Castle)
James Robinson was bequeathed a black mare by Richard Mankin, Weaver whose
will was written 16 Mar

1715 & proved I Jun 1715. (WB C pg 27 1714-1721) Richard Mankin called James
Robinson, "his beloved uncle." To be an uncle to Richard Mankin, either his
wife Catherine or one of James' sisters would have been married to a Mankin.
Richard Mankin's father Richard did not name a daughter Catherine in his will
dated 9 Aug 1708. (WB B pg 166) Nor did Richard Mankin, Jr. name a sister
named Catherine in his will of 1715. More research needs to be done to try to
determine the relationship of the Mankins and the Robinsons.
In 1716 he served as a member of the Assembly of New Castle along with John
Yeates, John French, John Richardson, & James James. From the time of the
formation of William Penn's Government, in 1682, until 1704, the "counties of
New Castle, Kent and Sussex upon Delaware," united with the counties of the
Province,Philadelphia, Chester and Bucks-in legislative action, each county
electing representatives to the Assembly which met at Philadelphia. At an early
date, sectional controversies and disagreements arose, which finally led to a
disunion by the establishment of a separate Assembly by the counties first
mentioned, acting, however, under the authority of the Governor of Penn. The
first Assembly of the "Lower Counties," as they were frequently styled, met in
1704, with annual sessions thereafter, until 1776, when a constitution,
forming the state of Delaware, was adopted (Pub of Gen. Soc. of Pa Vol 5 pg 246 &
Robinson Genealogy by Milnor Ljingstedt) He was appointed Executor of Rees
Meredith's estate 5 Sep 1721. (Colonial Dames of Delaware, A Calendar of
Delaware Wills, 1682-1800, pg 24 Genealogical Pub. Co., Baltimore, MD, 1969 & WB
C, pg 341)
On 6 Apr 1726 he was Co-Executor with Jonathan Houstown, & William Dixon to
the will of Anthony Houstown when they sold land to Patrick Rielly. Recorded
29 Apr 1727. (New Castle Co., Del. Deed Bk H1, pg 144)
He wrote his will 4 Dec 1726 and it was probated 20 Dec 1726. He bequeaths
to his son, George Robinson "a certain tract of land adjoining my now dwelling
plantation-.. with a feather bed & furniture, to his daughter, Cathrin
MackDanell five shillings; daughter Ann Hollingsworth five shillings; to his wife
Cathrin his "now dwelling plantation where I live, with the mill and all
other profits. After her decease or change of widowhood to be divided among the
children aforesaid" The remainder of his estate was to go to Cathrin, his wife
and children James, Thomas, William, Joseph, John, Prissila, David & Peaby
Robinsoa His wife, Cathrin, son James & two brothers George & Joseph are
appointed Executors. (WB Misc I, pg 408 & pg 26 Colonial Dames of Delaware, A
Calendar of Delaware Wills, 1682-1800, Genealogical Pub. Co., Baltimore, MD,
1969) In the Calendar of Delaware Wills the name of the last child was listed as
boy, Robinson but in reviewing the original will the name "feaby" is crossed
out and the name "Peaby" written above it. Her name is "Pheobe" on the
baptismal records of Old Swedes Church and when she is mentioned along with her
brothers & sisters selling land on page 366 DB K New Castle County deeds.
On 16 May 1735 Joseph, John & Priscilla Robinson sold land in Bread & Cheese
Island on the west side of Red Clay Creek for Eleven pounds Ten Shillings to
Morton Justice. Claim to the land was released by Bryan ktcDonald &
Catherine his wife, Stephen Hollingsworth & Anne his wife, George Robinson, David
Robinson & Phoebe Robinson. Wit: Wm. Graham & Jas McMullen (New Castle Co., DE.
Deed Bk K, pg 366) William Graham was married to Priscilla Robinson.
Other family information comes from a deed dated 16 Aug 1748 when David
Robinson of Mill Creek Hundred & Annable, his wife sell land to William Roe for
two hundred pounds. In the recital it is stated that John Robinson became
entitled to 8th part of his father, James Robinson, Esq real estate commonly
called Robinsons Mills in Mill Creek Hundred After the decease of James the sd
Mills were very much out of repair. An agreement was made with Joseph Robinson
and John Robinson to repair the mill. Joseph Robinson and wife, Mary conveyed
unto John Robinson his right to the mill on 18 Aug 1742. George Robinson
became heir at law to two eights of said mill on 6 Mar 1744. By his power of
attorney Bryan McDonald granted to John Robinson, George Robinson's right of sd
mill. John Robinson & Mary granted unto David Robinson one full half of his
right 20 May 1747. (DB Q pg 61) George was in Augusta Co., Va. by this time.
Catherine (Howell) Robinson died before July 1750 as on that date George
Robinson, administrator of the
estate of Catherine Robinson late of this county, widow, dec'd and produced
the account of his administrator of said estate. There was a balance of one
hundred and eighteen pounds nine shillings and three pence in the said
administrators hands to be disposed of. (Bk C New Castle Co. Court records)
James & Catherine (Howell) Robinson had 11 children all born in New Castle
Co.
1. GEORGE ROBINSON b ca 1695 md Martha abt 1742. Some say her maiden name
was Perkins dau. of

Joseph Perkins. A Joseph Perkin's will appeared on pg 13 Colonial Dames of
Delaware, A Calendar of Del. Wills, 1682-1800, genealogical Pub. Co.,
Baltimore, MD, 1969 dtd 1707 but the George Robinson who was Executor was probably his
uncle) Some researchers say her name was Stone which was more probably
correct. On 5 May 1729 he is of Mill Creek Hundred when he sells 110 A of land to
Duncan Drummond, In the recital it states he was son of lames Robinson and
his father, James obtained the land from Ericus Bjork & Barbara James Johnson
Vanderburg in 1712. (DB 1, pg 55) He was in Orange Co., VA which was later
Augusta Co., VA on 20 Jul 1732 when he gave Stephen Hollingsworth a note for £4.
Later on 12 Jun 1733 Stephen Hollingsworth endorsed the note to Abel
Pearson, who sued Robinson. George Robinson claimed the note was not his and the
case was settled in Nov 1735 when Hollingsworth paid him £7. (Orange County, VA
Court Judgments, Nov 1735 on pg 313 David B. Trimble, Kincannon & McDonald of
Southwest VA, Austin, TX 1992) On 12 Nov 1735 George Robinson & John Petite
received a grant of 1,650 acres on the west side of Opequon Creek on Tusuroro
Branch in Orange Co., VA which they sold to Richard Beason for £70 on 29 Sep
1737. On 21 Feb 1738/9 George Robinson purchased 892 acres in Beverley Manor
on the Shenandoah River from William Beverly for £14.15.2. (F. B. Kegley,
Kegley's Virginia Frontier, pg 41, SW VA Hist. Soc., Roanoke, VA, 1938 and deed
books of Augusta Co) He was a justice of Augusta County Court in 1740 and
appointed as Magistrate in 1745 (Summers' History of Southwest VA). In the
Spring of 1745 the "Woods River Grant" was issued to James Patton & George
Robinson and a number of other men. The surveying began in March 1746 and 100,000
acres lying in Augusta County was granted to these men. He was a Captain of
the militia in 1742. Listed among the members of his company were: Jas.
McFeron, Pat. Shirky, Jas Ranfro, Dan. Managhan, Mark Eval, Peter Ranfro, George
Draper, Rob. Roland, Edm. Smith, Fran. Kelly, And. Gaughagall, Henry Stiles, &
others. (pg 281 Virginia Historical Magazine Vol 8). He was responsible for
bringing many settlers to Augusta County among whom was his brother-in-law
Bryan McDonald (Pg 327 Seed Bed of the Republic-Early Botetourt by Robert Stoner
& The Roanoke Times by Goodridge Wilson dated 13 May 1974). On 13 May 1746
George sold his Beverley Manor land to John Finley and his wife, Martha signed
away her dower rights (DB 5 p 254 Augusta Co., VA)
George received a grant of 400 acres on Buffalo Creek on 25 Jul 1746, which
he sold to David Robinson on 29 Nov 1749. He sold land to Stephen Rentfro on
25 May 1748, and to Joseph McDonald on 22 Mar 1755. (DB 2, p 129, Bk. 3, p
100; Virginia Land Patent Bk. 24 & found on pg 313 David B. Trimble, Kincannon
& McDonald of Southwest VA, Austin, TX 1992)
His will was dated 19 Mar 1763 and probated on 25 Jun 1763 (Lyman Chalkley,
Chronicles Vol 3, pgs 131, 139 & 272; A Seed Bed of the Republic, pg 321 & F.
B. Kegley, Kegley's Virginia Frontier, pg 334, SW VA Hist. Soc., Roanoke,
VA, 1938; George Robinson & His Kin by Marie R Justice) In his will he names
his wife, Martha & children: James, Samuel, George, William, Sara, Catherine,
Priscilla, Martha Witnesses were William
Graham, James Robinson, John Robinson, & Francis Graham. (Augusta Wills Bk
3, pg 272 ) He died Mar 1763 in Augusta Co. now Botetourt Co, VA.
His widow married Joshua McCormick before 20 Nov 1766 as that is when the
appraisement of the estate of
George Robinson was recorded by James, Samuel Robinson & Martha McCormick,
late Martha Robinsons. (pg
484 WB 3) Josua McCormick bought 2 bells from the effects of Bryan McDonald
on 29 Mar 1759 (WB 2 p 332
Augusta Co., VA) His sons James & Samuel with their wives, Sarah and Jane
sold the home place in 1770 to
Thomas Madison who succeeded in getting the Vestry of Botetourt Parish to
use it with adjoining land for a Glebe.
Probably the George Robinson who was dec'd with James & Samuel Robinson as
ex. in a court case dated 5 May
1774, p 20 Fincastle Co., VA, FHL Film 32622. The family went to Russell
Co., VA. and Pike Co. Kentucky. George & Martha (Stone) Robinson children: All
probably born in Augusta Co., VA 1. James Robinson b 4 Sep 1743 (Tinkling
Spring record of baptisms, published in Howard McKnight Wilson, Tinkling Spring,
Headwater of Freedom, Fishersville, VA, 1954 & David B. Trimble, Kincannon,
pg 313 & McDonald of SW VA, Austin, TX 1992) md Sarah before 23 Apr 1766 when
he sold land to William Preston. (DB 13 pg 51 dtd 23 Apr 1766). Wonder if he
was one of the James Robinsons who had a license only on 21 Aug 1764 & 19 Mar
1765 ( Augusta Co. Marriages, pg 175, FHL Bk 975.5916V 2v). Probably the
James Robinson exec. of George Robinson dsc'd in a court case of Fincastle Co.,
VA dated 5 May 1774 p 20 FHL #32622
2. Sarah Robinson b ca 1745
3. Samuel Robinson b ca 1747. He was one of the executors of his father's
will in 1763. He md Jane ca 1769.

On 12 June 1770 Thomas Madison purchases from Samuel Robinson and Jane and
James Robinson and Sarah 258 Acres part of George Robinson's land which came
from James Cole (F. B. Kegley, Kegieys Virginia Frontier, pg 493, SW VA Hist.
Soc., Roanoke, VA, 1938; pg 89 Botetourt Co., VA Court Record) On 3 Aug 1771
was granted 500 A on Roanoke in Botetourt Co., VA (No 554 Commonwealth Grants
& Patents) 5 May 1774 probably the Samuel Robinson exec of George Robinson
dec'd in Court Case of Fincastle Co, pg 20, FHL Film 32622 He was the surveyor
in Botetourt Co. in 1778 whom Frederick Smith replaced. He was the Samuel
Robinson who was appointed along with Francis Beaty, James Kincannon & Andrew
Kinnon to appraise the estate of Tobias Smith in Washington Co., VA on 18 Feb
1781 (Annals of Southwest Virginia 1769-1800 Vol II by Lewis Preston Summers,
pg 1091 Published by Lewis Preston Summers, Abingdon, VA 1929 reprinted
Southern Historical Press, Inc 1992.) He and his wife, Jane sell on 8 & 9 Dec 1786
387 & 200 Acres of land to James Fullen (Pp 62 & 63 Washington Co., VA DB
1) Captain of the Militia in 1786 in Russell Co., VA (OB I pg 4 Russell Co.,
VA). In 1797 he was recommended as a county coroner and in 1798 he received a
warrant for 25 acres. In 1803 he provided for the emancipation of three slave
children, since he opposed slavery. (pg 314 David B. Trimble, Kincannon &
McDonald of SW VA, Austin, TX 1992) His will was did 18 June, 181 5 He left his
land on the North Fork of Cedar Creek of Clinch River to his son Samuel and
personal property to his daughter Jane. After his son died he gave his land to
his grandchildren, although he continued to live there until his death in
1820. (pg 314 David B. Trimble, Kincannon & McDonald of SW VA, Austin, TX 1992)
The following statement was in the will, "I give my son, Samuel Robinson,
all my real estate in Russell County and also my inheritance descending from my
father, George Robinson, who was one of the Loyal Land Company." (WB 3 pg
361 Russell Co., VA) Listed in the will is his wife, Jane, son Samuel, daughter
Jane Fitzgerald.
Children: ( David B. Trimble, Kincannon & McDonald of SW VA, Austin, TX
1992, pg 314)
1) Samuel Robinson, abt 1770 d abt 1817 Russell Co., VA md Mary Price, d/o
of Richard & Priscilla (Crabtree) Price
2) Jane Robinson abt 1772 md Mr. Fitzgerald.
4. Catherine Robinson b ca 1749
i 5. Priscilla Robinson b ca 1751
6. Martha Robinson b ca 1753
7. George Robinson b ca 1755
8. William Robinson b ca 1757
2. CATHERINE ROBINSON b ca 1697 md Bryan McDonald, Jr. 8 Dec 171 5 at New
Castle Co., Del died 1760 in Botetourt Co., VA. (SEE BRYAN McDONALD, Jr. FAMILY
HISTORY) 3. ANN ROBINSON b ca 1699 md Stephen Hollingsworth 18 Feb 1716 New
Castle Co. Del. (History of Immanuel Church by Thomas Holcomb) Stephen was
son of Henry & Lydia (Atkinson) Hollingsworth. ( Ibe Hollingsworth Family by
William T. Butts, San Antonio, TX & Cecil Co. md, DB 3, pg 355). On 31 May 1726
Stephen Hollingsworth of Cecil Co. md Gent., son & heir of Henry
Hollingsworth late of Cecil Co. dec'd & Anne his wife sold to George Robinson of Newark
in the hundred of Brandywine (New Castle Co., DB H, pg 53) Stephen was a
Magistrate in Cecil Co. md in 1732 removed to Virginia. Their names appear on pg
357 of Daughters of American Colonists Lineage Book submitted by Lillie
Kathleen Elmore Patterson wife of Francis Patterson. They had at least two
children:
1. Lydia Hollingsworth b ca 1717 md lst John Ross 11 Oct 1735 Hopewell MM,
Frederick Co., VA ( Hopewell Friends History Frederick Co., VA, pg 56). Theirs
was one of the first marriages of Friends at Opeckon. They had to go all the
way to Nottingham and back to declare their intentions. At Nottingham under
date of (8th?) month 18, 1735, it was recorded that John & Lydia had
appeared. On 9 month 15, 1735, they appeared at Nottingham the second time. John was
the son of Alexander Ross. She md 2nd William Jolliffe, Jr. by whom she had
1) John Jolliffe b 18 June 1751 Hopewell MM, Frederick Co., VA (IGI) 2. Henry
Hollingsworth b ca 1719 md Mary Murrah d 1764, (Daughters of American
Colonists Lineage Book, pg 357)

4. JAMES ROBINSON b ca 1702 md Elizabeth Keabbin 5 Feb 1738 d bef 17 Oct
1752. On 17 Oct 1752

Duncan Drummond was administrator of James Robinson estate. It was stated
there are debts due and no personal estate of said dec'd to satisfy these debts.
It was therefore, ordered by the court to sell the real estate. (Pg 175
Orphans Court New Castle Co. Del) On 18 Aug 1763 Donald Drummond adm of James
Robinson in place of William Read dec'd & Duncan Drummond also dec'd it was
stated that James Robinson became seized of one eighth part in eight parts to be
divided of a certain tract situate in Mill Creek Hundred containing 250 acres
as
tenant in common with Thomas, William, Joseph, John, Priscilla, David &
Plebe Robinson, his brothers & sisters by virtue of the last will & testament of
their father, James Robinson late of the Hundred & Co. bearing date 4 Dec
1726. James Robinson, the son died intestate. Letters of administration by
William Read & Duncan Drummond dec'd were duly granted to Donald Drummond. Donald
Drummond by an order of orphans court 14 June 1762 for the estate of James
Robinson, the younger sold the 250 acres of land to James Walker for 50 pounds
he being the highest bidder. (Orphans Court, New Castle County, pg 175)
5. THOMAS ROBINSON b ca 1704 md Anne (Robinson Genealogy by Milnor
Ljingstedt)
6. WILLIAM ROBINSON b ca 1706. He was among the first settlers in Beverley
Manor, Augusta Co., VA (F. B. Kegley, Kegley's Virginia Frontier, pg 41, SW VA
Hist. Soc., Roanoke, VA, 1938) 4 May 1753 he purchased 200 acres of land
from John Robinson (DB 5, pg 429 & Kegley's VA. Frontier, pg 102). In 1771 he
appears on the North Fork when he along with his neighbors: John Craig, John
Henderson, Samuel Robinson, Giles Jackson, Thomas Rafferty, David McGee, Swain
Paulson, John McCormack, Robert McGee, John Smith, Robert Ritchie, Abraham
Fuller, David Robinson, John Vanlear, Samuel McGee, Joshua McCormack were
summoned before the court for not obeying Robert Alexander, the sheriff, in
retaking Joseph Alexander after breaking prison. From 1773 to 1784 he served
regularly on the jury and was fined in 1783 for not serving. In 1780 James Wood
succeeded him as captain, and 1781 Thomas Rowland succeeded him at Lieutenant
Colonel. (Kegley's VA Frontier, pgs 615 & 616)
7. JOSEPH ROBINSON b ca 1708 md Mary. On 16 Aug 1748 David Robinson of Mill
Creek Hundred & Annable his wife sell Robinsons Mill to William Roe for 200
pounds. In the deed recital Joseph & Mary his wife conveyed unto John Robinson
on 18 Aug 1742 all his right to said Mill & Mill lot. (Bk Y, pg 401) Believe
he is the Joseph Robinson who went to Augusta Co., VA. and purchased land
there.
8. JOHN ROBINSON b ca 1710 md Mary. On 6 Apr 1744 Edward Robinson of Mill
Creek Hundred & John Robinson same place, mill wright bound himself for eight
pounds 14 shillings. (Edward Robinson was probably a cousin. He was a son of
Robert Robinson. ) Paid unto John Robinson & Mary his wife one quarter of
Mills & Mill Lot commonly called Robinson's Mills. (NC Co, DB Q, pg 173). On 20
May 1747 he and his wife, Mary granted unto David Robinson his right to the
Robinson Mills (DB Q, pg 61) Moved to Augusta County, VA. and on 21 Mar 1753
purchases land from James Patton. John Howard against a John Robinson,
Blacksmith in Court Records of Botetourt Co., VA on 1770. (Botetourt Co., VA, pg 70)
9. DAVID ROBINSON b ca 1712 md Annable abt 1740. On 18 May 1748 he and wife
Annable sell land in Mill Creek Hundred to John Gillis for 143 pounds (DB Q,
pg 61). On 16 Aug 1748 he and his wife Annable sell Robinsons Mills in Mill
Creek Hundred to William Roe for two hundred pounds. In the deed recital it
confirms that he is a son of James Robinson. (DB Q, pg 83) He moved to Augusta
Co. before 29 Nov 1749 on which date he purchased 400 acres on Buffalo from
his brother, George Robinson. ( F. B. Kegley, Kegley's Virginia Frontier pg 98
& 614, SW VA Hist. Soc., Roanoke, VA, 1938)
He lived on Buffalo Creek near Robert Breckenridge until after the Indian
Wars and then moved to North Fork. On 24 Nov 1755 he sold 100 A which was part
of the 400 A which he bought from George Robinson to
' Thomas Moore. He purchased land from William & James Gorrell. He lived in
Chester Co., Pa. for a few years as on 14 Jul 1760 he sold land to Wm. Graham
from there. Win Graham is probably the one who md his sister, Priscilla In
1765 he and his wife Annable sold 245 A on Buffalo Creek to Israel Christian.
He was a cousin to James Robinson of South Fork, whose son, John was killed
by the Indians' at Vause's Fort.
David was guardian for Elizabeth Robinson, daughter of John and it was from
her and her husband, Alexander Montgomery that David bought land that was
left to her by her father. David was a prominent militiaman and described a
visit by the Indians in a letter to William Preston- "'The Indians came to the
Fort last night and we endeavored to pay them all deference imaginable. We were
obliged to cook for them in the night that we might answer their
expectations and accommodate them to their satisfaction. There came with them John
Allan, Sgt.

Looney and an interpreter. They proposed not to go away until tomorrow and
we were therefore under the necessity of sending for a fresh supply of beef,
etc.' (Seed Bed of the Republic by Stoner)
David was Second LtL in Capt. Wm. Prestoa's Company of Rangers in 1755 &
1756 and was Capt. of a company in 1764 and 1766. For his services as a soldier
he was allowed 2,000 acres of land. David Robinson & Annable sell land to
Francis Smith on 11 Mar 1768 part of which was conveyed to David by George
Robinson and a part conveyed to David by William Graham. (Lyman Chalkley, Scotch
Irish Settlement in VA., pg 467) 8 May 1770 David Robinson grew 1285 pounds of
hemp (Botetourt Court Orders, p 48) He continued as a Captain of Militia in
Botetourt County and served as a Justice from the origination of the county
and was recommended for Sheriff. (Kegley's VA. Frontier, pg 614 & 615) The
David Robinson land became the home place of Thomas Rutlidge where erected a new
log house which is still standing. Only have record of one child:
1) Annable Robinson b ca 1744 md Moses or Alexander Montgomery ca 1764 in
Augusta Co., VA.

10. PRISCILLA ROBINSON bapt. 8 May 1715 in the Immanuel Church, New Castle
Co. Del. ('Thomas Holcomb, Sketch of Early Ecclesiastical Affairs in New Castle
County, DE and History of Immanuel Church, Wilmington, DE, Delaware Printing
Co., 1890 pg 181 as dau of James Robinson of White Clay Creek) md William
Graham son of James Graham of Mill Creek Hundred, New Castle, Del. (pg 198
Compendium of American Genealogy).
William's mother was named Elizabeth After Elizabeth's husband died, she
married Thomas Ogle. Two of their daughters, Elizabeth & Susan Ogle md Joseph &
Bryan McDonald, sons of Bryan McDonald & Catherine Robinson.(Family group
record compiled by Ruth Alten Hall, Columbus, OH 31 Jul 1996)
William was one of the witnesses when Joseph, John & Priscilla Robinson sold
land on 16 May 1735 to Morton Justice in New Castle Co. (New Castle Co. DE.,
Deed Bk K, p 366) They moved to Augusta Co., VA. with the Robinson Family.
William Graham bought a large sermon book from the effects sold of her
father's estate on 29 Mar 1759. (Augusta Co., VA. Will Bk 2, p 332) On 14 Jul 1760
David Robinson sold land to Wm. Graham.
On 19 Mar 1763 William Graham, James Robinson, John Robinson, Francis Graham
were witnesses when George Robinson wrote his will in Augusta Co., VA (WB 3,
p 272)
On 6 Aug 1767 William Graham sold to his son, Francis Graham 364 acres for
100 pounds on Buffalo Creek
of Roneoak, part of 845 acres patented to James Patton. (Augusta Co., VA.
Deed Bk 13, pg 366)
Children (Family Group Record prepared by Donald Ray Raney, Garland, TX 22
Aug 1997):
1. Francis Graham b abt 1742 Augusta Co., VA md Elizabeth Robinson abt 1767.
Elizabeth b abt 1750 d bef 1805. Francis d 1809 Elkhorn, Franklin, KY.
2. Elizabeth Graham b abt 1748 Augusta Co., VA md Joseph Robinson abt 1774.
Joseph b abt 1746.
3. Catherine Graham b abt 1752 Augusta Co., VA md Edward Springer abt 1778.
Edward b abt 1750.
4. Priscilla Ann Graham b abt 1754 Augusta Co., VA md Walter Greer. He was b
abt 1752 PA d 13 Feb 1835. She d 1835 Overton Co., TN.
Children:
1) Robert Greer b abt 1780 Sullivan Co., TN.
2) James Greer b abt 1782 Sullivan Co., TN
3) Sarah Greer b abt 1789 Sullivan Co., TN. md James Rayburn abt 1810. James
b abt 1780 d 1830. Sarah d 1860.
4) William Greer b abt 1790 Sullivan Co., TN md Sarah Greer 1810. Sarah b
abt 1792
5) Priscilla Greer b abt 1791 Sullivan Co., TN md Robert Henderson Savage
abt 1806. Robert b abt 1781 & d abt 1870. Priscilla d 1838 Overton Co., TN.
6) Elizabeth Greer b abt 1796 Overton Co., TN md 1`) Samuel Walker abt 1815.
Samuel b abt 1794. Elizabeth md 2') Michael Gormley abt 1833 Madison Co.,
AL. He was b abt 1784.
7) George Washington Greer, Sr. b 1798 Overton Co., TN md Sarah Elizabeth
Greer abt 1816 Overton Co., TN. He d abt 1859 Wood Co., TX
5. George Graham b abt 1756 Augusta Co., VA md Elizabeth Tumley. Elizabeth b
abt 1764 d 9 Oct 1817. George d 19 Oct 1832 Dandridge, Jefferson, TN.
6. William Graham md Elizabeth (The Compendium of American Genealogy, p 198)

, PHOEBE ROBINSON b 15 Apr 1721 bapt 28 May 1721 Old Swedes Church as dau of
James & Catherine binsson. Sponsors: Jeremy Ball; Mary MacDonald; William
Brackin's wife Hanna. (Old Swedes Church, pg
9 & Vol2 Delaware Genealogical Society Journal) Mary MacDonald identified as
wife of William McDonald was brother to Bryan McDonald, Jr.



************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.



This thread: