ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1988-05 > 0579625440

From: Bill Sholar <>
Subject: Introduction
Date: Sat, 14 May 88 10:04:00 CDT

I became interested in genealogy in the early 1970's, when I was
taking a seminar that included reading the journal of an early
Quaker reformer by the name of John Woolman. A relative saw the
book, and said that we were descended from the journalist. That
seemed interesting, so I started looking.

(As these things often turn out, we are descended from his grandfather
-- also named John -- and father, but are descended from his sister,
rather than directly from him.)

The Quaker connections really helped -- the Society of Friends (Quakers)
were great record-keepers, so I was able to establish or verify several
lines that went back to the 1600's.

Largely because of the Quaker connections, I have pretty good records on
many of the lines that led to my g-g-g-g-grandmother. Because there was
a strong tendency to marry within the denomination, the records are
about as good on maternal as on paternal sides. That good fortune ends
in the mid 1800's, when the tendency to marry "out of unity" increased,
and my g-g-g-g-grandmother was "disowned". So most of the lines I've
been following, except the one that branches out from her, have only
gone back to the late 1800's.

Lines I'm particularly interested in:

John SHOLAR, m. Elizabeth COSTIN prob. around 1843.
Their son, Wm Henry, b. 1845, New Hanover Co., NC, m. Harriet Jane KERSHAW.
John KERSHAW Sr. (grandfather of Harriet), b. 25 Oct 1780, m. Eliz.
BUTTERWORTH 1808.
Elizabeth NAASON (mother of Harriet KERSHAW), b. 23 Feb 1815, m. John
KERSHAW Jr. 1845
Josiah William BRUNSON, b. abt 1872, Sumter SC, m. Armida Davis MOSES
Andrew Jackson MOSES (father of Armida)
Adolph Marion HOWELL, b. 22 Feb 1896, SC
John M. SHAW, b. 9 Feb 1813, f. of Alvis Yancey SHAW, b. 24 Apr 1837
Frederick DEEN (DEAN), b. 25 Sep 1786, m. Lydia STARBUCK 1818. (Lydia
is descended from Edward STARBUCK, of Nantucket, MA c. 1680; I have the
family Bible.)
William M. GRAY, b. 3 Nov 1826, m. 1857 Mary Jane BROWN b.18 May 1831 (from NC)
Cornelia Victoria ATKINS, b. 9 Apr 1862, m. 25 Feb 1880 John Wesley GRAY
(son of William M., above)

Other names of interest, mostly before 1700, many in England: William HUNT
(b. 1664), William WOOLMAN (d. 30 Mar 1642), John BORTON (b. abt 1635),
John MILLS Sr. (b. England before 1692, d. 1760 NC), John BEALE (BEALS)
(b. abt 1659), Tristam COFFIN (b. 1510, g-grandfather of the Nantucket
Tristam who was born 1605), Robert STEVENS (b. 1590), Richard KIMBALL
(b. 22 Jun 1595), Henry SCOTT (b. 1570), Wilmot STUTTEVER (b. abt 1573,
m. 1 Oct 1593 John WORTH), John HUSSEY (m. 5 Dec 1593 to Mary WOOD, who
d. 16 Jun 1660), Stephen BACHILER (BATCHELDER, etc., b. abt 1561),
Thomas CLAYTON (b. bef 1618, father of William), John BOWATER (b. bef
1635, England), John EDGE (b. 1646 Middlesex, Eng.).

I have tried a handful of genealogy programs, and am currently using
Quinsept's FAMILY ROOTS, for the Macintosh.

Work: I manage an academic computing center at a medical school.

Bill Sholar
UT Southwestern Medical Center
5232 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX 75235-9066

(214) 688-2028 (work)
(214) 291-2015 (home)

E-Mail: Try . If your site, or an intermediate node, hasn't
updated their BITNET tables in the past few months, the mail won't make
it. In that case, please try .

Bill

This thread: