ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1988-10 > 0593303215

From: Alf Christophersen 02 45 41 97 <>
Subject: Letter from SOC.ROOTS on Usenet Netnews
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 88 23:26:55 ECT

From: (Guy D. Ridley)
Newsgroups: soc.roots
Subject: How to begin?
Date: 19 Oct 88 15:32:11 GMT

I recently got together with my grandmother and went over some very old
photographs and got her to remember most of the people in them. I now have
a chart that is pretty complete back to my great-great-grandparents. Two
of them came from Scotland (independently) and the others presumably were
born in the U.S. My question is, how do I begin tracing back farther than
her memory will go?

I am aware that the Mormon church keeps genealogical charts, but do they do
this for everybody? If they can be helpful, do I have to actually go to
Utah, or for a fee will they send me material?

My uncle got a sales pitch for a 'complete genealogy of the Ridley family'.
Are these scams or what?

What can I do from my armchair (or at local libraries) without having to
travel back east or to Scotland? How does one access old newspapers, church
records, etc?

Any answers will be appreciated!

-- Guy Ridley

This thread: