ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1989-06 > 0614291584

From: Alf Christophersen 02 45 41 97 <>
Subject: Letter from soc.roots on usenet netnews
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 89 16:33:04 EDT

From: (Susan King)
Newsgroups: soc.roots
Subject: Software Info Request II
Date: 17 Jun 89 02:10:48 GMT
Sender: (newsout1.26)

JC> I have a friend that is interested in porting over all of
JC> his hand written
JC> geneaology records onto a computer. His main interests lie
JC> in the area of
JC> maintaining/updating the database, and generating "family
JC> tree" type output.
JC> My friend is a computer novice and would prefer information
JC> on shareware or
JC> public domain software that would be the least intimidating
JC> to use with a PC compatable computer. Any and all information
JC> would be appreciated.

Hi Jon,

I will take a stab at this...if you are interested in shareware probably
the best program available is probably Family Edge...menu driven,
and easy to use. The commercial version will support GEDCOM which
is becoming the standard for interchanging data between different
types of software packages.

The other program is PAF (Personal Ancestral File) by LDS.

EDGE.B03 version Shareware is available for d/l on this board....and many
others throughout the FIDONET system...or if you would like, have
your friend send me two formatted disks and I will copy the shareware
version and mail back to him. (have him send stamped mailer as well..
addressed.)

P.O. Box 980126
Houston, Texas 77098

This thread: