ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1996-07 > 498

From: Gary Liming <>
Subject: Help with English town names
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 09:47:06 -0500

I know that my namesake, Liming, comes from the English surname Lyming, and
might somehow be connected with the history of the town of Lymington,
Somerset in England. Could some kind English person tell me how a town
across the pond is organized so that I might know who to write to that would
have information on the history of the town? In the States, I would guess
the mayor, the town librarian, or the chamber of commerce. In a typical
English town, who keeps information about the history of the town,
especially how the town got its name?

Thanks,

Gary Liming

This thread: