ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1996-07 > 65

From: (carolyn atkinson)
Subject: DOUGLAS CO, NE, INDIAN TRIBES/RESERVATIONS IN THIS AREA?
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 12:49:52 -0500

Hello ALL:

Could someone tell me if there were and what tribes there were in the
Douglas Co, NE area of Indian Tribes? Also, would anyone know of any
Rolls, papers, documents and where to find them of these tribes?

I have talked again with my mother and she tells me that Lamira Hays
Spear/s did definitely prove that she was part Indian and that she
definitely did sign, and receive land, etc. I KNOW she was in Douglas Co
in 1909. I lost her after the 1880 census in Fulton Co, IL where she was
born and raised.

Her twin was my gggrandmother. The story goes that my grandmother refused
to have anything to do with her Indian heritage and rejected it. Their
parents were William C Hays (whose parents were James Hays b in VA, lived
in Fleming Co, KY and died Fulton Co, IL, and Isabella Crail, b in KY, prob
Fleming Co, and died in Fulton Co, IL, her Crail name is definitely
Scottish) and Julia Ann Williams(b in IN and d in Fulton Co, IL at the age
of 31 in a cholera epidemic, no info on her at all). I know that most of
Indiana was Indian reservation in the 1820's. Therefore, at this time, we
are going the route that Julia was thru the Indian line(if the stories are
true). The only picture we have of the twin sisters, show an extremely
strong ethnic Indian heritage, Lamira especially.(if they turn out to not
be, it will be really strange).

So, anyone got any ideas of WHERE I should start my research?????? I am
trying to get the death record of Lamira out of NE but I have not had any
success at this time. (No response yet from NE). Also evidently the
cemetery records in Douglas county are not well documented at this time. If
I could find the date of death, I was hoping to find the obit, which might
help give information.

I look forward to hearing from you. PLEASE!!!!<G>

Sincerely Carolyn Leverich Atkinson
1602 York
Carolyn Des Moines, IA 50316

PLEASE NOTE THE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!--address is case sensitive, use all
lower case. Even though header states ecity.net, I am supposed to have
less problems with bounced mail with george.ecity.net. IF Y0U BOUNCE MY
MAIL--RESEND, RESEND, RESEND, --I AM HERE!!

This thread: