ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1996-07 > 968

From: Angus Robinson <>
Subject: Military unit histories
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 17:09:59 -0500

Private John S. HAWES, Company B, 4th TN Cavalry:
Jim ( - James & Susan Hawes) write to the United
States Army Military History Institute, Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania
17013, They have one of the finest collection of military records
available in this country. The nucleus of their collection came from
three sources: The U.S.Army War College, The National War College and
the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.
Jim and Susan might also seek a copy of the publication: U.S.Army Unit
Histories, Vol. 1, 1978, 431 pp., by George Pappas, Elizabeth Snoke, and
Alexander Campbell.
For copies of military records write:
The National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Blvd.
St.Louis, MO 63132.
Please be advised though that a fire in 1973 destroyed over 15 million
personel files.There are about 13 million Army, 4 million Air Force, as
well as 22 milliion Navy personnel folders on file plus about 3 million
Marine files. My records tell me that the record center provides
genealogical information to qualified requesters, although this service
is of low priority. The Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act
limit what may be released to the public. Be prepared to prove
relationship. National Guard personnel records are, so I am told,
available only through the respective state for which the individual
served.

There are microfilms available for the period from 1798 - 1914 and an
index for service of Compiled Service records of volunteer soldiers who
served from 1784 to 1811. Personnel records for regular officers who served
during the War of 1812 can be, so I've been told, be found only in
War Department files of the period. I hope this answers the question.
Angus P. Robinson
Cedar Lake, IN

Note from screener: In a later message from Angus, in which he requested some
corrections in the above (they were made), he added:
I know this to be a fact because I tried to obtain the personnel files
for my great uncle who served in the 7th Regiment, Regular U.S. Army.
His unit later fought along side elements of the 44th Regment on the
battle lines of New Orleans where Chalment National Battle Field is now
located. Capt. Jeffrey Robertson was adjutant for the reg't. He died in
1817 while stationed at old Fort Montgomery, Alabama, near the
confluence of the Alabama and Tombigbe Rivers.

This thread: