ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1996-10 > 14794

From: "Regina A. Roper" <>
Subject: BURRIS: Chickasaw and ?FRENCH?
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 15:29:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi all. I am looking into a possibility. My husband's 5th great grandfather
was Colbert Ashalatubby Burris. He was enrolled on the Chickasaw Rollin OK
IT as a fullblood. He came from Pontotoc Co MS to Pontotoc Co OK in the
1830's. His father was named Sheyelache, but called JOHN BURRIS. His mother
was named CHECOTAH.

I am wondering about the name, JOHN BURRIS, used by his father. The father
died c 1835 in MS. One of Colbert's grandchildren stated that her father had
always said that "one of my grandfathers was FULL BLOOD FRENCHMAN".

Of course, if this was true, then CA could not have been a "FULL BLOOD
INDIAN".

I am aware that the name BURRIS is sometimes a derivative of the French
surname BURRESS.

Does anyone have any FRENCH BURRESS or BURRIS ancestors in MS Indian
(Choctaw) Teritory c 1783, when John Burris was reportedly born? I am
figuring this French grandfather was from John's mother's side. John's
father was an Indian named IMMAH-MEHA-TUBBY.

Thanks for any help or inspirations..

Regina Roper
Florida

This thread: