ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1997-04 > 37245

From: (Alice M. Beard)
Subject: PLANCK or PLANK (long, sorry)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 11:56:06 PST

I have some genealogy info and a lovely story. I just received in the
mail a large, old Bible that once belonged to a German Baptist Brethren
couple from Missouri: Newell Abraham Lincoln (N.A L.) PLANCK (b. 1864) &
his wife, born Orpha May HENDERSON (b. 1873). The Bible was sent to me by
a staff member at the LDS Family History Center near Killeen, TX. She
found my connection to the family from a submission I made a few years
back to the LDS Ancestral File data base. I am distantly related to
N.A.L. PLANCK.

That LDS library branch acquired the Bible two weeks ago when a woman
took it to the local LDS library there in Texas. The woman said she had
just returned to Texas from a trip to Missouri where she and other
family members were taking care of an estate sale for one of her
relatives. While cleaning out the belongings, they came across a family
Bible. The woman was convinced that the Bible did not belong to any of
the family and had not belonged to any ancestors they had. The woman
thought it might be wanted by the real family so she took it back to her
home in Texas and gave it to a staff member at the local LDS Family
History Center.

[Yes, I also suspect the Bible belonged to a grandmother whose surname
was forgotten.]

The Bible was published in 1852 by E. H. Butler and Co., Philadelphia.
Written on the inside cover is the following:
N. A. L. Planck
3227 S. Benton
Kansas City 3 Mo

The Bible is a large, leather-bound edition.
Inserted within the pages are (among other things) the following;
(1) A yellowed subscription blank for "Gospel Messenger" from 1886 and
some other clippings clearly Brethren.

(2) An obituary for the father of N.A.L. Planck which mentions that the
father
had a business called "Planck Implement House, presumably in Sedalia, MO.

(3) A clipping of a poem titled "A Mother to Her Son." It begins,
These tears will fail and sigh will come,
Though I have tried for other's sake
To keep them back, and held my breath
Until I thought my heart would break:
But I am thinking of a lad,
Of books and ball, of blocks and play,
And then a man of virtues rare,
And now of this his wedding day.

Nice poem. If you want the rest, just ask. ;-)

The Bible belonged to the following man:
================================
HUSBAND: Newell Abraham Lincoln PLANCK
BORN: 25 May 1864
MARR: 23 Jun 1898
FATHER: John PLANCK
MOTHER: Elizabeth SHRIDER
================================
WIFE: Orpha May HENDERSON
BORN: 22 May 1873
================================
CHILDREN:
================================
1. NAME: George Edward PLANCK
---- BORN: 9 Jun 1900
2. NAME: Marion Henderson PLANCK
---- BORN: 5 Jul 1906
3. NAME: Rowena Grace PLANCK
---- BORN: 4 May 1910
===============================

Newell Abraham Lincoln (N.A.L.) PLANCK was from the
following family:
=============================
HUSBAND: John PLANCK
BORN: 24 Sep 1827
DIED: 4 Feb 1902, Sedalia, MO
MARR: 4 Mar 1852
FATHER: Adam PLANK, Jr.
MOTHER: Mary HORN
===============================
WIFE Elizabeth SHRIDER
BORN: 30 Jan 1833
DIED: 28 May 1925
================================
CHILDREN:
================================
1. NAME: John Marion PLANCK
---- BORN: 3 Jul 1853
DIED: 1 Apr 1906
SPOUSE: Charlotte Elizabeth BRUCE
MARR: 11 Nov 1885
2. NAME: Gilbert Washington PLANCK
---- BORN: 14 Jul 1856
SPOUSE: Nellie GARVEY
MARR: 14 Oct 1885
5. NAME: Newell Abraham Lincoln PLANCK
---- BORN: 25 May 1864
SPOUSE: Orpha May HENDERSON
MARR: 23 Jun 1898
=================================

The following is a descendancy chart for the
grandfather of the man who owned the Bible:
===============================
DESCENDANCY CHART
===============================
1-- Adam PLANK, Jr. (1797-1868)
sp-Mary HORN (1799-1872)
2-- Rebecca PLANCK (1824-1908)
sp-Peter COOPERRIDER
2-- Mary PLANCK (1825)
sp-Peter HELSER
2-- John PLANCK (1827-1902)
sp-Elizabeth SHRIDER (1833-1925)
3-- John Marion PLANCK (1853-1906)
sp-Charlotte Elizabeth BRUCE (1860)
3-- Gilbert Washington PLANCK (1856)
sp-Nellie GARVEY (1864)
4-- Marion Louise PLANCK (1888-1902)
4-- Henry Howard PLANCK (1891)
4-- John Russell PLANCK (1893)
4-- Dorothy Elizabeth PLANCK (1904)
3-- Newell Abraham Lincoln PLANCK (1864)
sp-Orpha May HENDERSON (1873)
4-- George Edward PLANCK (1900)
4-- Marion Henderson PLANCK (1906)
4-- Rowena Grace PLANCK (1910)
2-- Andrew PLANK (1829-1917)
sp-Lucy Ann SCHRUM
2-- Hannah PLANCK (1831)
2-- Daniel PLANCK (1833)
sp-Louisa WEBB
2-- Elijah PLANCK (1836)
2-- Susannah PLANCK (1838)
sp-Joseph SCHRUM
sp-John M. CLARK
2-- Harriett PLANCK (1841-1874)
sp-John ICE
2-- Lydia Ann PLANCK (1843)
sp-ENGLIS

I'll be happy to send this Bible on to someone more closely related than
I. I'd also be happy to dig thru the other info I have and send a good
deal of pedigree info on Mary Horn (1799-1872) who was married to Adam
PLANK, Jr. (1797-1868).

Alice Beard

This thread: