ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1997-08 > 52392

Subject: ADONIJAH BROWN Poundridge, Westchester, NY
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:34:12 -0400 (EDT)

Searching for information on Adonijah BROWN b 22 May 1766 Westchester County
NY died Dec 9, 1847 Guilford, Chenango County NY Below is what I know and
how I know it:

>From National Archives Revolutionary War Pension Records. Adonijah BROWN
number W25,287 - B.L.W,10,303-160-55
b. in Bedford or Poundridge, Westchester Co., NY May 22, 1766. Resided at
enlistment in Bedford. Resided in 1844, Guilford, Chenango, NY and there
died on Dec 9 1847. Awarded pension of 21 dollars and 54 cents on 4 March,
1831 - Certificate issued 5 June 1846 (duplicate certificate dated 4 March
1848 for Eleanor. For service as a private in the company commanded by
Captain LEWIS of the Regt. commanded by Col. CRANE in the Revolution line for
six months and 14 days.
Adonijah appeared before the court of common pleas in Chenango Co. He was 75
years old and made a declaration to obtain the benefit of provisions of an
act of congress passed Jun 7, 1832. "That according to the family record he
was born in the town of Bedford, County of Westchester State of New York, the
22nd day of May in 1766. That he lived with his father in the town of
Bedford until he was 14 years of age. That in the first part of May 1780 he
volunteered as a private into service of the revolution and joined a company
of State troops of the State of New York, commanded by Capt. Samuel LEWIS and
belonged to a regiment commanded by Lieutenant Co. Thadeus CRANE. That he
did not stay with the regiment but was stationed together with five other
soldiers belonging to the regiment at a place called Pound Ridge about two
miles from the Enemies line in the county of Westchester. That his business
was to scout near the Enemies lines in the day time, take his turn standing
guard at night. They did often take British soldiers on the American side of
the line. He never was in any regular engagement. Did not see Col. CRANE
very often but Capt. LEWIS used to come to see them as often as once a week.
That he does not know as the regiment was commanded by any other Colonel
than Col. CRANE while he was in the service. He was aquainted with Col
MILDEN and Col SHELDON of the County and General THOMAS. That his father
kept the horses of Col Sheldons Regiment in the winter of 1780. That he saw
the burning of Bedford. That hE was personnaly aquainted with WILLIAMS and
had seen PAULDING? two of the persons who took Maj ANDRE.
He further states on his oath that he served as above stated without
intermission until the for part of October 1782 when he received a verbal
discharge form his captain. The he never received any pay for his services
but once the Captain let him have four or five dollars. That during the time
of his service he was not employed in any civil pursuit. He also states that
he does not know of any person living by whom he can prove his service. ..."
In his questionaire, he adds that he had lived in Ulster, Orange and Chenango
Cos NY since the revolution. He also said that in his verbal discharge, his
captain had said that he should not want us any more as he thought the war
was about to a close. Samuel GODFREY and John G. BENNETT were character
witnesses.
Then there is a slip of paper listing the children of Adonijah from
Shawangunk.
Eleanor appeared before a court 18 Feb 1853. She was aged 86. She stated
she was the widow of Adonijah. She was married to the said Adonijah BROWN by
the Reverend Elkanah HOLMES of the 27th day of January 1789. Adonijah died 9
December 1847. She presented a slip of paper showing her marriage and birth
date (May 6, 1766).
James L. BROWN appeared and swore that he was 52 and son of Adonijah and
Eleanor. He stated that Adonijah had died on date above in James' house. He
also attested to marriage of his parents and said Eleanor was then Eleanor
MILLER. He said the oldest son, Edward lived in Liberty, Sullivan Co. and
was over 60.
The file contains a newspaper obituary:
Adonijah Brown died in the town of Guilford, Chenango County, NY. December 9
1847 in the eighty third year of his age. He experienced religion in Ulster
County NY and united with the M. E. Church, of which he continued a worthy
member until removed by death. His connection with the church embraced a
term of about 37 years. ... C. Starr. Guilford, Feb 1 1848.
Also in the records is a deposition where Adonijah states that the regular
troops had gone south to fight Cornwallis leaving the militia to guard the
lines in the north. He said he was refered to as Adonijah Jr. because his
father had served in the same company. In this declaration he said he was
born in Poundridge. He had lived in Plattekill, Shawangunk, Crawford, and
Guilford.
A Thomas POTTS of Poundridge testified in West Chester New York that he was
81 and that he served in 1781 for about 6 and 1/2 months in Capt Lewis'
Company, Col Crane's regiment. He was guarding the lines at and near
Bedford. He says that Adonijah served with him. He first knew Adonijah at
Elnathan Scofield, in town of Poundridge. He later moved to Bedford to learn
the Shoemakers trade.
Also in the file is a letter which sent in the initial declaration of
Adonijah. It stated that Adonijah had hoped to pass through life without
asking for a pension but that circumstances compel him to ask for the
benefits.
Also a letter from Adonijah's brother Nathaniel living in Nichols, Tioga Co.

>From Revolutionary War Pay records, National Archives:
Adonijah Brown Jr. received nineteen pounds five shillings and nine pence for
service in years 1779, 1780, 1781. - Crane's Regiment.

This thread: