ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1997-12 > 66481

From: betty sheets <>
Subject: McCARLEY. Frank
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 17:13:51 +0000

Hi Rooters:

Some one be a Santa Claus and make my Christmas! I am still looking for my
g-grandfather, FRANK MC CARLEY, who seems to have no beginning or end. (At
least one that I can record.) I do have the following documented information:

The State of Alabama, Lauderdale County. Probate Court I hereby certify
that on the 1st day of April A.D., 1882, I solemnized the Rites of Matrimony
between Frank McCarley and Maggie Snoddy at Mt. Bethel Church in said County.
WITNESS, this 3rd day of April A.D., 1882.
(signed) G.W. Crutcher(?) not sure of spelling
and title given may be Minister. Our records has Maggie as Margaret Isabella.

Attached to the bottom of the Court House record is a seperate hand written
piece of paper that has:

The State of Alabama
Lauderdale County

This day personally appeared before me, W. E. Haraway, Judge of Probate
for said County, Frank McCarley, who deposeth (?) and says that he is
twenty one years of age and that he has no parent or guardian and that he is
not under the control of any one by law or otherwise. Sworn to & Subscribed
before me this 31st day of March, 1882. W.E. Haraway, P. Judge.

Frank's application for a certificate of marriage is signed with an "x" and
witness signature appears to be Jas. Wm. (?) Morgan.

Our family records have Frank and Margaret (maggie) as parents of:
McCarley, Thomas Vernon-b 1883-d. 2/25/71 (my Grandfather)
McCarley, Belle- b. 10/14/1894-d.4/17/1920 (I am not sure
that this is a sister. Belle married T.B. Haraway. Records has Annabel C.
Haraway, b. 3/12/1898-D. 2/1/1967 as the second wife of T.B. Haraway and
that she was a widow of John Elbert McCarley).

McCarley, Sarah A b.1890-d.11/14/1896
McCarley, John Elbert b.5/17/1898-d.4/3/1920

Maybe someone out there is a descendant of the above can help me fill in the
blanks and clarify the records.

Santa Claus, all I want for Christmas is the birthdate and place of birth
for Frank McCarley and the date and place of his death. Maybe next
Christmas I can ask for further information. :~)

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all Rooters.
Betty

Betty @

This thread: