ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 1998-07 > 88226

From: Tom & Ann Harris <>
Subject: Will of Walton Harris, son of Nathan
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 18:40:41 -0700

WILL OF WALTON HARRIS, Son of Nathan Harris 1809

IN THE NAME OF GOD, AMEN:

I WALTON HARRIS of the county of Greene and State of Georgia do make
this my last Will & Testament, revoking all others heretofore made.
First--
I lend unto my loving Wife REBECCA HARRIS all my estate real and
personal during her natural life or Widow-hood.
Secondly--
I give unto my loving wife all the profits shall make on said estate
absolutely.
Thirdly--
I give to my Two Sons WALTON HARRIS & JEPTHA V. HARRIS, the tract of
land whereon I now live after the death or widowhood of my wife to be
equally divided beginning on the river at equal distances from each
corner and running in such direction to the back line as to make the two
tracts equal in quantity--the upper part to WALTON HARRIS the lower to
JEPTHA V. HARRIS.
Fourthly--
I give to my son WALTON HARRIS one Negro man, CHARLES, at the death or
experation of the widowhood of my wife.
Sixthly--
I give to my son AUGUSTIN HARRIS, one Negro lad, HARRY, at the death or
at experiation of the widowhood of my wife.
Seventh--
I will that at the experation of the widowhood of my wife or at her
death the estate herein lent to her and not absolutely given be by my
Executors sold on a credit of twelve months to the highest bidder and
the money to be distributed in manner following:
To my son BUCKNER HARRIS, Two Hundred Dollars. To the Female Orphand of
SAMPSON HARRIS Decs. to wit: SUSANNAH, CATHERINE, ELIZABETH & MARY, two
hundred dollars to be equally divided amongst them; The said money to be
put in the care of my Sons AUGUSTINE & WALTON to be by them put to the
best advantage for said children until they shall severally arrive at
the age of fifteen years, and in case either of them die under the age
of Fifteen years and without lawfull issue their parts to be given to
the survivors.
To the heirs of SAMPSON HARRIS Ten dollars--To AUGUSTINE HARRIS two
hundred dollars. to my daughter BETSY CRUIK, two hundred dollars. To
WALTON HARRIS two hundred dollars to be considered an equivalent for
former services.
Eighthly--
I give my wife REBECCA HARRIS, one Negro girl, CHARLOTTE, absolutely
provided she does not give her out of my family of childred or
Grandchildren, otherwise to return to my estate and be subject to the
general distribution.
Ninethly--
I give to my son JEPTHA HARRIS, one hundred dollars, and my Bofat, at
the general division.
Tenth--
I will that if my wife should die or marry after the first day of March
the Estate shall be kept together until the crop is finished and said
crop to be sold with my other property.
Eleventh--
I will that should there be more stock or other property at my death
than will in the opinion of my Executors be Necessary for my Wife's
comfortable support that my Executors make sale thereof and put the
money at interest for the use of my wife the principal subject to the
general division--The same to be observed with respect to my crop should
I have any not sold; together with all notes or amounts due me: my
debts, funeral expenses etc., being first paid.
Twelfth--
I will that should there remain a balance from the sales of my Estate
after giving as before devised the said balance shall be equally divided
amongst my sons, BUCKNER, EDWIN & my four granddaughters aforesaid or
the survivors of them, the said granddaughters taking one share amongst
them, and that share to be placed in the hands of AUGUSTIN and WALTON
HARRIS as before directed with regard to a months legacy given them.
Thirteenth--
I nominate and appoint PETER EARLY, GEORGE STOVALL, ROBERT ROYSTON,
AUGUSTIN & WALTON HARRIS Executors and my Wife REBECCA HARRIS Executrix
of this Will.
In Testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal,
This Twenty-ninth day of May, 1809.
WALTON HARRIS [seal]
WITNESSES:
JOEL COLLY
NIMROD DICKENS
ANN A. EARLY
SARAH ROYSTON
Georgia Greene County--Court of Ordinary, Sept. Term, 1809.
Came personally in open court JOEL COLLY & NIMROD DICKENS who being duly
sworn say that each of them were pressnt when the within named WALTON
HARRIS signed and sealed the within sheats as his last will and
testament, that they and each of them together with MRS ANN A. EARLY &
SARAH ROYSTON subscribed their names as witnesses thereto in the
presence of the said WALTON HARRIS and that he was of sould disposing
mind and memory.
Sworn to in open court and subscribed, this 4th day of September 1809.

JOEL COLLY
NIMROD DICKENS

H.CARLTON
for THO. CARLTON, C.C.O.
Recorded this 5 Sept, 1809

H. CARLTON, for THOMAS CARLTON,C.C.O.
State of Georgia,
County of Greene
I hereby certify that the foregoing is a true and exact copy of the last
will and testament as appears of record in the Ordinery's office of
Greene County, Georgia, of WALTON HARRIS, in Will Book "E" page 80.
Given under my official signature and seal of Superior Court of Greene
County, Georgia, of which I am duly qualified Clerk of said Court.
My Commission expires on December 31st, 1914.
This June 20th, 1913.
(signed) S.H.WILLIS,
Clerk Superior Court, Green Co. GA.
Ann Harris